Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
The major objective of this book is to review in detail health problems occurring with significant frequency in aging adults which are proposed to be treated or ameliorated using nutriceuticals as foods and dietary supplements as well as other complementary and alternative therapies. Chapters primarily focusing on nutrients have been excluded to maintain a focus on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
The book is divided into three general sections:
1. Nutriceuticals and Botanicals in Health Promotion - including Specific Nutriceuticals Used in Treating Aged; and General Nutraceutical Approaches to Therapy with emphasis on cancer. 2. Non-nutritional CAM Therapies – including Mind-mediated Therapies; and Physically Applied CAM Therapies 3. Non-dietary Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Use and Benefits to the Elderly in Health
- Identifies the important nutritional requirements of the aging population, and how nutraceuticals and other CAM options affect those
- Addresses the many disease entities and cancers are found with higher frequency in the aged, including cancer, trauma, or infectious disease that can alter intakes of nutraceutical containing foods and/or requirements for various nutrients.
- Explores the nutritional materials botanical extracts and components that can have important health promotion benefits and risks, to ensure safe consumption
- Reviews the frequently used non-traditional and often unproven CAM therapies, beyond nutritional and nutraceutical supplements, including a variety of physical and psychosocial treatments.
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||3 MB|
About the Author
Table of ContentsCh 1-Botanical and Marine Oils for Treatment of Arthritis
Ch 2-Prolotherapy for Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
Ch 3-Soy and Cognition in the Aging Population
Ch 4-Valerian and Other CAM Botanicals in Treatment of Sleep Disturbances
Ch 5-Botanicals and Nutrition in the Treatment of Epilepsy
Ch 6-Ginkgo Bilboa Extract in Prevention of Age-Associated Diseases in Elderly Population
Ch 7-Policosanol to Manage Dyslipidemia in Older Adults
Ch 8-Health Promoting Benefits of Chamomile in the Elderly Population
Ch 9-Bamboo Extract in the Prevention of Diabetes and Breast Cancer
Ch 10-Cranberry and other Dietary Supplements for the Treatment of Urinary Tract Infections in Aging Women
Ch 11-Black Cohosh: Chemopreventive and Anticancer Potential
Ch 12-Integrating comprehensive and alternative medicine into stroke: Herbal Treatment of Ischemia
Ch 13-Socioeconomic Aspects of the use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Ch 14-Noni (Morinda citrifolia) Fruit as a Functional Food and Dietary Supplement for an Aging Population
Ch 15-Botanical Treatment for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Ch 16-Eggs and Health: Nutrient Sources and Supplement Carriers
Ch 17-Berries and Cancer
Ch 18-Flavanoids and cardiovascular health
Ch 19-Ibogaine and the Treatment of Opiate Addiction
Ch 20-The Potential of Caffeine for the Inhibition of Cognitive Decline in the Aged
Ch 21-5 or More Servings of Fruit and Vegetables Each Day for Better Health!
Ch 22-Medicinal Uses of Vinegar
Ch 23-Health-promoting effects of grape bioactive phytochemicals
Ch 24-Isoflavones Made Simple – Agonist Activity for the Beta-Type Estrogen Receptor May Mediate Their Health Benefits
Ch 25-Signal Therapy: Propolis and Pepper Extracts as Cancer Therapeutics
Ch 26-Health Benefits of Traditional Culinary and Medicinal Mediterannean Plants
Ch 27-Quercetin: A Potential Complementary and Alternative Cancer Therapy