Discipline that you and your child will feel good about!
At last, a positive discipline book that is chock-full of practical tips, strategies, skills, and ideas for parents of babies through teenagers, and tells you EXACTLY what to do “in the moment” for every type of behavior, from whining to web surfing.
Parents and children today face very different challenges from those faced by the previous generation. Today’s children play not only in the sandbox down the street, but also in the World Wide Web, which is too big and complex for parents to control and supervise. As young as age four, your children can contact the world, and the world can contact them. A strong bond between you and your child is critical in order for your child to regard you as their trusted advisor. Traditional discipline methods no longer work with today’s children, and they destroy your ability to influence your increasingly vulnerable children who need you as their lifeline! Spanking and time-outs do not work. You need new discipline tools!
Help your child gain:
- Strong communication skills for school, career, and relationship success.
- Healthy self-esteem, confidence, and greater emotional intelligence.
- Assertiveness, empathy, problem-solving, and anger-management skills.
- A respectful, loving connection with you!
You will gain:
- An end to resentment, frustration, anger, tears, and defiance in your parent-child relationship.
- Tools to respectfully handle most modern challenging parenting situations, including biting, hitting, tantrums, bedtimes, picky eating, chores, homework, sibling wars, smoking, “attitude,” and video/computer games.
- Help for controlling your anger “in the moment” during those trying times.
- A loving, respectful, teaching and fun connection with your child!
"Offers a wealth of ideas and suggestions for raising children without the use of punishment of any kind." Linda Adams, President and CEO of P.E.T. Parent Effectiveness Training and Gordon Training International
"The world is in desperate need of gentle, caring discipline techniques. Judy Arnall has created a wonderful, nurturing guide that all parents can benefit from."
Elizabeth Pantley, Author of The No-Cry Solution series of books.
"Parents always prefer to be loving but often don't know how. Arnall's book debunks all the old beliefs about discipline through painful measures such as punishment, consequences or bribes and provides far more effective and kind ways to raise well behaved and thriving children."
Naomi Aldort, Ph.D., Author of Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
BONUS! 50-page quick reference tool guide included
|Publisher:||Partners Pub Group|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.90(d)|
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Part One: Why we need to change our discipline tools
1. The Purpose of Discipline: Teach, not hurt ___________________ 11
2. Build The Bond: Be the person you want them to be ___________ 49
3. Discipline, Not Punishment: Stay with your “no” and
honor your words ________________________________________ 83
4. Punishments and Bribes Don’t Work: Look for the
need or feeling (NOF) under the behavior ____________________ 97
5. Good Parents Feel Angry: Separate your anger from
your discipline ___________________________________________ 130
6. Your Child is Unique: All the factors that affect discipline _______ 168
Part Two: Tools from the trenches
7. Discipline Tools for Babies 0 – 1 Years: Attachment _____________ 195
8. Discipline Tools for Toddlers 1 – 2 Years: Action _______________ 213
9. Discipline Tools for Preschoolers 3 – 5 Years: Action and talk ____ 242
10. Discipline Tools for School-aged Children 6 – 12 Years:
Talk and action __________________________________________ 283
11. Discipline Tools for Teenagers 13 – 19 Years: Negotiate __________ 320
12. Technology Without Distress: Educate, not ban ________________ 354
A Final Word ____________________________________________ 374
Discipline Tool Summary for Common Behaviors ______________ 375
Index _______________________________________________________ 425