Our Faith, In Our Words
What does it mean to be young and spiritual today—when the New Age isn’t exactly new, when female rabbis and ministers are no longer unusual, and when Eastern religion’s ideas and practices are no longer considered exotic? Who are the faces behind today’s fresh approaches to faith, approaches that are destined to shape the future of spiritual life in America?
"Religion is not a crutch for the weak-minded. It is merely spirituality in its simplest, most rudimentary form. We have witnessed the hypocrisy, the moral and spiritual mediocrity of succumbing to tradition for tradition’s sake. In an age when there are books on everything for dummies, my generation has opted to find out for themselves. I am a new adult, with decisions to make about my identity and my future. I am not about to surrender this newfound privilege. I am content with discovering my spiritual self through my own avenues. I am not in need of a crossing guard."
—from God Within
God Withinrepresents citizens of the twenty-first century who are faced with a dizzying array of spiritualities: believer, seeker, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, and Wiccan, to name just a very few. The result of a nationwide challenge extended to young adults born after 1974, in this book they share their experiences with all of these beliefs—some confident, some questioning—and introduce us to many shades in between.
Sometimes irreverent—but more importantly, always relevant—this thought-provoking collection of writings, poetry, and art showcases the voices that are defining the future of religion, faith, and belief as we know it.
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||1 MB|
About the Author
Jon M. Sweeney is an author and editor recognized for his ability to communicate religious ideas and history in uncomplicated language. He is also the author of The St. Francis Prayer Book and editor of The Road to Assisi: The Essential Biography of St. Francis, a Literary Guild, Crossings, and History Book Club selection. He was the co-founder and editor-in-chief of Skylight Paths Publishing for several years before joining Paraclete Press as associate publisher. He lives in Vermont with his wife and their two children.
Table of Contents
1. Love and Strategy, by Eboo Patel
2. Simply Complicated, by Lindsay Keipper
3. Two Stars, by Elizabeth Ochs
4. Nestled in the Lap of the Goddess, by Pamela Dawn deForest
5. Spirituality vs. Religion, or Why the Atheist Crossed the Road, by Ian Giatti
6. A Spiritual Orphan, by Arlene Helderman
7. An Unauthorized Autobiography, by Sumi Loundon
8. Jesus H. Christ, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Church, by Emlyn Bean
9. Oy, Estherla, by Jodi Werner
10. Letting Our Spirits Free, by Jennifer A. Johnson
11. Moving from Judaism toward Christ, and the Christians Who Tried to Stop Me, by Lauren Winner
12. The Journey to the Alligator Juniper, by Shana Lanzetta
13. Living at the Crossroads, by Eboo Patel