If you hire contract lobbyists, are a contractor, or want to understand client-contractor synergy, then you need this book. First, Insiders Talk: Winning with Lobbyists, Professional Edition (Manual 5) equips clients, that is, lobbyist-employers and in-house government affairs managers, with tools for selecting the right contract lobbyist(s), negotiating and managing market-appropriate fees, working more effectively together, and successfully managing their government affairs programs. The addition of How to Successfully Lobby State Legislatures (Manual 3) further equip clients to contribute to the design and effectiveness of their lobbying campaigns.
The Professional Edition synthesizes the views of dozens of consumers of lobbying services, contract lobbyists, lawmakers, staff, and political consultants. Clients using it will better understand the context of lawmaking, formulate and articulate reasonable expectations of their contractors, evaluate and improve their and their lobbyists' job performance, and get better returns on their investments of financial and political capital.
Next, contract lobbyists can use the Professional Edition to develop better clients, thereby making their engagements more fruitful and less client-stressful. Although referring to my Lobby School seminar, Florida contract lobbyist David R. Custin's observation broadly applies to upgrading client quality: "... if all of my present, past, and future clients took your course it would make me a more effective lobbyist and make my job 100x's simpler. Thanks again for the great course."
Finally, students learn how clients and their lobbyists affect state legislatures, staff, individual lawmakers, executive agencies, special interests, and the Governor's office to effect client friendly legislation. Washington, D.C. contract lobbyist Ron Phillips says it best, "I see Insiders Talk leading to a generation of clients able to get more out of themselves, their lobbyists, and advocacy investments."
Best for clients and contract lobbyists, attorneys, and graduate and law students.
Related collections and offers
Table of Contents
- Overview of Lobbying
- Determining Your Level of Need for Contract Lobbying Services
- Understanding Contract Lobbyists
- Determining Which Contact Lobbyist May Be Right for You
- Finding the Right Contract Lobbyist
- Engaging a Contract Lobbyist
- Negotiating and Managing Fees
- How to Be an Effective Client
- Understanding Lawmakers
- Which Lawmakers to Lobby
- When Facts Matter and When They Don't
- Power and Corruption
- Ethics Laws for Lobbyists and Clients
- Campaign Contributions
- Lobbying Special Interests and Coalitions
- Lobbying Legislative Staff
- Lobbying Executive Agencies
- Lobbying Legislators
- Lobbying the Governor
- Evaluating Contract Lobbyist and Principal's Representative Job Performance
- Executive Agency Rulemaking, Appeal, and Enforcement
- 7 Appendices: includingEngagement, and Job Performance Evaluation documents