Engaging, perceptive, and academically thorough, the New Beacon Bible Commentary will expand your understanding and deepen your appreciation for the meaning and message of each book of the Bible.
Written from the Wesleyan theological perspective, this indispensable commentary provides pastors, professional scholars, teachers, and Bible students with a critical, relevant, and inspiring interpretation of the Word of God in the 21st century.
EACH VOLUME FEATURES:
• CONTEMPORARY SCHOLARSHIP from notable experts in the Wesleyan theological tradition
• CONVENIENT INTRODUCTORY MATERIAL, including information on authorship, date, history, audience, sociological/cultural issues, purpose, literary features, theological themes, and hermeneutical issues
• CLEAR VERSE-BY-VERSE EXPLANATIONS, which offer a contemporary, Wesleyan-based understanding derived from the biblical text in its original language
• COMPREHENSIVE ANNOTATION divided into three sections, which cover background elements behind the text; verse-by-verse details and meanings found in the text; and significance, relevance, intertextuality, and application from the text
• HELPFUL SIDEBARS, which provide deeper insight into theological issues, word meanings, archeological connections, historical relevance, and cultural customs
• AN EXPANDED BIBLIOGRAPHY for further study of historical elements, additional interpretations, and theological themes
|Publisher:||Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City|
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Thomas J. King is professor of Old Testament at Nazarene Bible College. He previously served as a Bible lecturer at St. Mary's College of California. He is an ordained elder in the Church of the Nazarene. Thomas earned a B.A. degree from Northwest Christian College, an M.Div. from Brite Divinity School/TCU, and a Ph.D. from the Graduate Theological Union. He is the author of The Realignment of the Priestly Literature in the Princeton Theological Monograph Series.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I have taken a few classes from Dr. King in my undergrad. He is an amazing person to know and listen to. He is first class when it comes to teaching on the Old Testament.