Running a half-marathon is increasing in popularity. There are many benefits to running a long-distance race. It improves our fitness and general health. It helps us feel physically stronger and more active. It gives us a specific goal and challenges us to reach our targets. It is also a mental test and will help us improve our willpower and motivation.
Achieving our goal of completing a half-marathon is an important personal milestone and something we can be proud of. Just as important is completing the training program which builds up our fitness and mental strength. It is also a journey which helps us learn about our own capabilities.
This book is a guide through that training program. It tells you how:
1. to divide your training into 5 main stages
2. to organize each week and day of your training program
3. to choose the right equipment
4. to look after your body and take care of your feet
5. to slowly build up your pace so that you are running at peak levels
6. to use cross training to promote all-round fitness
7. to use rest to let your body recover and build its strength
8. to use tempo running to push back your bodies threshold
9. to use tapering to ensure you are fresh for race day