Miami 1990. Sun and fun. Surf and turf. In Miami ’90 the turf is greyhound racing. The surf runs down the Intracoastal Waterway and out to sea... south to Cuba.
The backstory is a 1986 unsolved murder that took place at a Miami style holiday party, witnessed by judicial, police and other civic leaders. The backstory connects two mysterious cities, Miami and Havana.
On December4, 1990, holiday parties celebrate Christmas and other religious and seasonal events Miami style, but at an office party, a body is discovered, while the city burns after a jury verdict in a race related murder cases is announced.
Meet Raquel and her friend Suzy and their biology class, as they take on the US, Florida’s and even Cuba’s criminal justice systems. Meet two notorious unsolved murders that may be related, in a city with a huge backlog inventory of apparent random killings. Besides murder meet:
• Foreign intrigue, spies and espionage.
• Cultural assimilation and hostility.
• Generational and inter-generational conflict.
• Dognapping and animal rights.
• Fire bombings.
• Abstract and symbolic cultural art.
• Public corruption fraud and Medicare fraud
• Jury trials and administrative hearings involving DNA and other scientific subjects.
• Foreign and domestic intelligence.
• Smuggling, illegal guns and drugs and illegal immigration.
• Remittances to Cuba.
• Terrorist gangs.
• Unscrupulous police and politicians.
• Interaction between the State Department, Justice Department and other agencies.
• Social Security hearings.
• Greyhound racing.
• Advanced placement.
• Comparative religion.
• Non-violent direct action.
• Religious proselytization and conversion.
• Parochial vs. public education.
• Religious persecution.
• Santeria and Voodoo.
• Spells and trances.
• Gangsters and ganiffs.
• Eugenics, genetics, forensic evidence and expert testimony.
• Lukumi. Melungeons. Moors and Christians. Babalus and Rebbes.
Meet the exciting diverse cast of characters who populate Miami ’90.
• Meet a celebrated physician, professor, expert witness and medical investigator with many enemies.
• Was his killer one of his ex-wives?
• Former or current girlfriends?
• Anti-abortion rights activists?
• Animal rights activists?
• Jealous colleagues?
• Former aggrieved partners and associates?
• Opponents of genetic research?
• Cuban terrorists?
• The KKK? Offended ethnic groups?
• Offended religious groups?
• Medical fraudsters and scammers?
• Estranged children?
Or was his demise due to natural causes?