In this issue:
- The stunning Queen of Swords by cover artist Tais Teng guards the gates to this issue’s brave new worlds and words.
- In ‘The Bicolour Spiral’ by Matthew Hughes, the ever-popular Erm Kaslo explores hostile planets, tracks treasure hunters, and seeks stolen fortune. Matt’s futuristic Sam Spade leaves no bloodstained stone unturned in this space opera of mystery and murder.
- Life itself spirals with being and absence in ‘Watershakers’ by Christi Nogle and ‘The Birthday Party’ by Melisa Gregorio as children witness the ephemeral made real — and the real made memory.
- And words themselves whirl and twirl — and crack open secrets — as poets Patti Pangborn and Sarah Summerson explore the hidden spaces of family life.
- Mike Carson, runner-up for the SiWC Storyteller Award, continues the exploration of memory and family in ‘Deep Water’, considering the limits of responsibility in fragile relationships.
- Meanwhile, Rina Piccolo, in ‘Double Flush’, reminds us that being human sometimes just means looking out for number one.
- It’s buyer beware in ‘Life4Sale’, an epistolary tale for the digital age by Raven Short Story Contest winner Michael Donoghue. And threads of desire and longing stitch lives together in ‘Dannemora Sewing Class’ by runner-up MFC Feeley.
- Two historical heroines return as we rejoin Toinette — ‘La Bergere’ — at the gates of seventeenth-century Paris in part two of The Shepherdess by JM Landels, and Frankie Ray and her chum Connie brave the no-less-imposing gates of Monument Studios in part four of Mel Anastasiou’s The Extra.
- Abandon the humdrum and enter these realms of wonder and adventure if you dare …
Related collections and offers
Table of Contents
From the Pulp Lit Pulpit - The Roaring Twenties
The Bicolour Spiral - Matthew Hughes
Feature Interview - Matthew Hughes
absent are the constellations my father plucked from the sky - Sarah Summerson
The Extra: Frankie Ray at the Gates of Monument Studios - Mel Anastasiou
The Birthday Party - Melisa Gregorio
Watershakers - Christi Nogle
The Safest Place in a Trailer During a Tornado is the Bathtub - Patti Pangborn
Deep Water - Mike Carson
The Raven Short Story Contest
Michael Donoghue, MFC Feeley
Double Flush - Rina Piccolo
The Shepherdess: Paris - JM Landels