Get all three Fixing Your Revision Problems books in one omnibus!
This book contains Fixing Your Character & Point-of-View Problems, Fixing Your Plot & Story Structure Problems, and Fixing Your Setting & Description Problems--PLUS a BONUS workshop: How to Salvage Half-Finished Manuscripts.
A strong story has many parts, and when one breaks down, the whole book can fail. Make sure your story is the best it can be to keep your readers hooked.
Janice Hardy takes you step-by-step through the novel revision process, from character issues, to plot problems, to description issues. She'll show you how to analyze your draft, spot any problems or weak areas, and fix problems hurting your manuscript.
With clear and easy-to-understand examples, Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft offers eleven self-guided workshops that target the common issues that make readers stop reading. It will help you:
- Flesh out weak characters and build strong character arcs
- Find the right amount of backstory to enhance, not bog down, your story
- Create unpredictable plots that keep readers guessing
- Develop compelling hooks to build tension in every scene
- Determine the right way to include information without infodumping
- Fix awkward stage direction and unclear character actions
Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft starts every workshop with an analysis and offers multiple revision options in each area. You choose the options that best fit your writing process. Learn how to:
- Develop a strong and effective revision plan
- Analyze your manuscript to find its strengths and weaknesses
- Spot common red flag words for problem areas (such as told prose)
- Determine the best way to revise a scene, plot, character, or novel
- Fix problems holding your novel back
Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft is an easy-to-follow guide to revising your manuscript and crafting a strong finished draft that will keep readers hooked.
About the Author
Janice Hardy is the founder of Fiction University, a site dedicated to helping writers improve their craft. She writes both fiction and nonfiction.
Her nonfiction books include the Skill Builders series: Understanding Show, Don’t Tell (And Really Getting It) and Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means), and the Foundations of Fiction series: Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure, a self-guided workshop for planning or revising a novel; its companion guide, Planning Your Novel Workbook; and Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft.
She’s also the author of the teen fantasy trilogy The Healing Wars, including The Shifter, Blue Fire, and Darkfall, from Balzer+Bray/Harper Collins. The Shifter was chosen by the Georgia Center for the Book for its 2014 list of “Ten Books All Young Georgians Should Read.” It was also shortlisted for the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize (2011) and The Truman Award (2011).
Janice lives in Central Florida with her husband, one yard zombie, two cats, and a very nervous freshwater eel.
Visit her author’s site at janicehardy.com for more information, or visit fiction-university.com to learn more about writing.
Follow her at @Janice_Hardy for writing links.