|Publisher:||Columbia University Press|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||910 KB|
About the Author
Bin Liang is an associate professor of sociology at Oklahoma State University–Tulsa. He is the author of The Changing Chinese Legal System, 1978–Present: Centralization of Power and Rationalization of the Legal System, coauthor of China's Drug Practices and Policies: Regulating Controlled Substances in a Global Context, and with Hong Lu, coeditor of Jurisprudence: Contemporary Western Sociological Studies and Developments.
Hong Lu is professor in the Criminal Justice Department at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She is the coauthor of Punishment: A Comparative Historical Perspective and China's Death Penalty: History, Law and Contemporary Practices.
Roger Hood is professor emeritus of criminology at the University of Oxford and emeritus fellow of All Souls College.
Table of Contents
Preface and Acknowledgments
1. China's Death Penalty Practice: Working Progress, Struggle, and Challenges Within the Global Abolition Movement, by Bin Liang
2. The Criminal Justice System and the Death Penalty, by Hong Lu, Yudu Liu, and Charlotte Hu
3. Crimes of Counterrevolution and Politicized Use of the Death Penalty During the Mao Era, by Ning Zhang
4. China's Death Penalty in a State-Power-Based Society, by Yunhai Wang
5. From "Killing Many" to "Killing Fewer", by Susan Trevaskes
6. The Abolitionist and Retentionist Debate, by Zhigang Yu (translated by Charlotte Hu)
7. Guiding Cases for China's Death Penalty: Analysis and Reflection, by Xingliang Chen (translated by Charlotte Hu)
8. The Death Penalty After the Restoration of Centralized Review: An Empirical Study on Capital Sentencing, by Moulin Xiong
9. Public Opinion and the Death Penalty, by Shanhe Jiang
10. Between Deference and Defiance: Courts and Penal Populism in Chinese Capital Cases, by Hualing Fu
11. Chinese Capital Punishment in Comparative Perspective, by David T. Johnson and Michelle Miao
12. China's Death Penalty in the Twenty-First Century, by Bin Liang and Hong Lu
List of Contributors