Quilting is the miracle of giving new life and purpose to
fabric scraps. It can rejuvenate your spiritual life too.
We affirm that life is here and now in our quilting and its ability to enable our journey. It is the vehicle for our continuing movement along our lifetime of efforts. Our quilts allow both the goal and the process in one magnificent creation after another. Our quilting generates the perfect combination of faith with action, hope with realism, and the universal with the particular, so that we are blissful and grateful in our co-creation experiences.
—from the Conclusion
What can you learn about yourself through quilt making? What deeper symbolism can you find in the act of cutting and piecing? How can this simple activity help you make your way down a spiritual path?
Delve into these questions and more in this imaginative book that will become your spiritual friend, your teacher and your sanctuary. Contemporary quilter Louise Silk takes you through her own quilting journey to discover how the process of making a quilt can be used to explore and strengthen your own spirituality. Each chapter introduces a universal human attribute organized according to the mystical tradition of Kabbalah, relates it to a personal life practice and then applies the attribute and the practice to an original quilt project.
Anyone from the novice to the needlework expert—and from any faith tradition—will be nourished and gratified by the patchwork and appliqu experiences offered in this creative, engaging book. These ten projects, carefully designed for you, include:
- One-Patch Utility Quilt
- Log Cabin Quilt String Pieced Pillows
- Straight Furrows Baby Blanket Quilting Carry-all Bag Patchwork Prayer Shawl
- Folk Art Appliqu Quilt Remembrance Crazy Quilt T-shirt Quilt
- Rail Fence Signature Tablecloth Plus dozens of variations …
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||4 MB|
About the Author
Louise Silk has been quilting professionally for over thirty years. In addition to commissions and exhibitions, she teaches quilting classes and workshops and is an artist member of Studio Art Quilt Associates and a life member of the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh. One of her five solo quilt exhibits, called I Was There, Now I Am Here, traveled to four venues around the United States. Her website, www.silkquilt.com, contains a color gallery of this book's projects and many others.
Louise Silk is available to speak on the following topics:
- The Quilting Path: A Guide to Spiritual Discovery through Fabric, Thread and Kabbalah
- Pieces of Memory
- Transformation: Reuse of Materials for Meaning and Memory
- I Was There: Now I'm Here: Self Discovery through Quilting
- The Sound of a Needle: The Quilt Maker’s Voice
Table of Contents
Preface: I Was There, Now I Am Here
Introduction: Threading the Basics
1. It Is What It Is: One-Patch Utility Quilt
2. The Contrast of Feminine and Masculine: Log Cabin Quilt
3. Binding Together Skills: String-Pieced Pillows
4. Unconditional Love: Straight Furrows Patchwork Baby Blanket
5. Bearing Our Load: Quilting Carry-all Bag
6. Beholding Beauty: Wearable Quilts
7. A Picture of Place and Time: Appliqué Quilt
8. Fragments of Life: Remembrance Crazy Quilt
9. Collecting Souvenirs: T-shirt Quilt
10. Ties That Bind: Rail Fence Signature Tablecloth
Conclusion: Artful Living Piece by Piece