Distinguish fake news from reliable journalism with this clear and concise handbook by New York Times best-selling author Bruce Bartlett.
Today’s media and political landscapes are littered with untrustworthy sources and the dangerous concept of “fake news.” This accessible guide helps you fight this deeply troubling trend and ensure that truth is not a permanent casualty. Written by Capitol Hill veteran and author Bruce Bartlett, The Truth Matters presents actionable tips and tricks for reading critically, judging sources, using fact-checking sites, avoiding confirmation bias, identifying trustworthy experts, and more.
|Product dimensions:||4.40(w) x 6.20(h) x 0.20(d)|
|Age Range:||18 Years|
About the Author
BRUCE BARTLETT's experience ranges from serving as Senior Policy Analyst in the Reagan administration to holding the position of Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Policy at the Treasury Department in the Bush 41 White House. He has also authored a column for Forbes and written for the Economix blog of the New York Times. A New York Times best-selling author, he's published more than 2,100 articles in major national publications.
Read an Excerpt
Excerpted from "The Truth Matters"
Copyright © 2017 Bruce Bartlett.
Excerpted by permission of Potter/Ten Speed/Harmony/Rodale.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Table of Contents
1. Why the Traditional Media No Longer Serves Our Needs 5
2. The Difference Between Primary and Secondary Sources 13
3. How to Use Links 21
4. Confusing Press Conventions 29
5. Journalistic Techniques That May Obfuscate Rather Than Illuminate Sources 37
6. Trusting Academic Sources 45
7. What Your Local Library Has to Offer in Terms of News 53
8. Numbers Must Be Put into Context 59
9. Beware of Deceptive Labeling 69
10. The Perils of Polling 77
11. Using Wikipedia 87
12. The Problem of Fake News 95
13. Designing Your Own Newspaper 103 14. Editorial Opinions 111
15. How to Fight Fake News 119