Firearms and knives have starring roles in a wide range of genrescrime, thriller, war, mystery, Western, and more. Unfortunately, many depictions of weapons in novels and film are pure fiction. Knowing the difference between a shotshell and a slug, a pistol and a revolver, or a switchblade and a butterfly knife is essential for imbuing your story with authenticityand gaining popularity with discerning readers.
Inside you'll find:
• An in-depth look at the basics of firearms and knives: how they work, why they work, what they look like, and how to depict them accurately in your stories.
• The biggest weapons myths in fiction, TV, and film.
• A surefire guide for choosing the correct weapon for your characters, no matter their skill level, strength, or background.
• A review of major gun and knife laws, weapons safety tips,and common police tactics.
• "The Hit List," showcasing the most popular weapons for spies, detectives, gunslingers, gangsters, military characters, and more.
• Examples highlighting inaccurate vs. accurate weapons depictions.
• An insightful foreword by David Morrell, the award-winning creator of Rambo.
Equal parts accessible, humorous, and practical, The Writer's Guide to Weapons is the one resource you need to incorporate firearms and knives into your fiction like a seasoned professional.
|Publisher:||Penguin Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||6.90(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Foreword David Morrell 1
Introduction Why Getting It Right Matters 5
Part 1 Firearms 9
Firearm Safety 10
Shotguns 101 12
Shotgun Ammunition 23
Rifles 101 29
Handguns 101 41
Rifle and Handgun Ammunition 51
Holsters and Concealed Carry 57
Suppressors, Silencers, Scopes, and Sights 63
Other Common Firearm Accessories and Their Uncommon Uses 76
Improvised and Custom Firearms 82
Must-Know Firearm Laws 85
Matching a Firearm to a Character 93
How to Kill a Character with a Firearm 98
Part 2 Kniues 102
Knife Safety 103
Knives 101 104
Knife Sharpening and Sheaths 140
Improvised and Custom Knives 144
Must-Know Knife Laws 148
Matching a Knife to a Character 155
How to Kill a Character with a Knife 161
Part 3 Must-Know Weapons Info 171
Top Weapons Myths 172
The Hit List 186
True Crime Stories from Real Crime Writers 257
Tactics Used by Law Enforcement and the Military 262
Have a Question? Ask the Author 279
Get More Maynaro 279