The Right First Move
A huge percentage of failing contracts go down because declarer did not play optimally on the first trick. Similarly, countless contracts are allowed to slip through because the defender in third seat made the wrong play.
With 125 instructive deals, David Bird covers all aspects of the first card played from dummy, the first move by the defender in third seat and the card chosen by declarer from his hand.
Parts I and II contain chapters on declarer play — with topics such as Avoidance Play, Winning in the Right Hand, Blocking the Defenders’ Suit, Setting up a Squeeze, Deceptive Play and Setting up an Endplay — and defense — with topics including Unblocking, Managing Defensive Entries, Deception, Signaling and Disrupting Declarer’s Plan.
Parts III and IV contain 44 problems, with each solution triggered by a necessary play at trick one.
Perfect your cardplay at Trick One and you will be difficult to beat!
|Publisher:||Master Point Press|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.48(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
PART I Declarer play
1. Avoidance play at trick one
2. Winning in the right hand
3. Should I hold up with one stopper?
4. Preserving trump control
5. Should I finesse at trick one?
6. Entry planning
7. Should I hold up with two stoppers?
8. Setting up a squeeze
9. Playing safe at trick one
10. Avoiding a blockage
11. Playing the right card from dummy
12. Handling A-and-J combinations
13. Should I ruff the first trick?
14. Blocking the defenders’ suit
15. Setting up an endplay
16. Deceptive plays
PART II Defensive play
17. The right card in third seat
18. Managing defensive entries
19. Helpful signaling
20. Unblocking in third seat
21. Disrupting declarer’s plan
22. Maintaining communications
23. Deceptive defense
PART III Test your declarer play
24. Quiz on declarer play
PART IV Test your defense
25. Quiz on defensive play