Illustrated profiles of fifty pioneering female athletes, from the author of the New York Times bestseller Women in Science.
Women for the win!
A richly illustrated and inspiring book, Women in Sports highlights the achievements and stories of fifty notable women athletes from the 1800s to today, including trailblazers, Olympians, and record-breakers in more than forty sports. The athletes featured include well-known figures like tennis player Billie Jean King and gymnast Simone Biles, as well as lesser-known champions like Toni Stone, the first woman to play baseball in a professional men’s league, and skateboarding pioneer Patti McGee. The book also contains infographics on topics that sporty women want to know about such as muscle anatomy, a timeline ofwomen’s participation in sports, pay and media statistics for female athletes, and influential women’s teams. Women in Sports celebrates the success of the tough, bold, and fearless women who paved the way for today’s athletes.
About the Author
Read an Excerpt
Excerpted from "Women in Sports"
Copyright © 2017 Rachel Ignotofsky.
Excerpted by permission of Potter/Ten Speed/Harmony/Rodale.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Table of ContentsCONTENTS
1. Annie Smith Peck- (1850 -1935) Mountain Climber
2. Madge Syers (1881-1917) Figure Skater
3. Georgia "Tiny" Broadwick (1893-1978) Skydiver
4. Bobbie Rosenfeld (1904-1969) Track and Field, Hockey, tennis and softball player
5. Gertrude Ederle (1905-2003) Swimmer
6. Aileen Muriel Riggin 1906-2002 Olympic Diver
7. "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias (1911-1956) Golfer, track and field and basketball player 8. Keiko Fukuda 1913-2013 Judoka
9. Marion Ladewig (1914-2010) Bowler
10. Toni Stone (1921-1996) Baseball Player
11. Althea Gibson (1927-2993) Tennis Player
12. Ann Calvello - (1929-2006) Roller Derby
* INFOGRAPHIC: TIMELINE
13. Sue Sally Hale - (1937-2003) Polo Player and Trainer
14. Wilma Rudolph (1940-1994) Track and Field Sprinter
15. Jody Conradt (1941-) Basketball coach
16. Billie Jean King (1943-) Tennis player
17. Anita DeFrantz (1952-) Rower and Athletic Administrator
18. Bev Francis (1955-) Weightlifter and body builder
19. Flo Hyman (1954-1986) Volleyball player
20. Patti McGee (1954-) Skateboarder
21. Susan Butcher (1954-2003) Dog Musher
22. Camille Duvall - (1960-) Water skier and Sports Journalist
23. Nadia Elena Comăneci (1961- ) Gymnast
* INFOGRAPHIC: MUSCLE ANATOMY
24. Jackie Joyner-Kersee (1962 -) Heptathlete
25. Julie Krone (1963-) Jockey
26. Bonnie Blair (1964-) Speedskater
27. Anjali Bhagwat (1969-) Markswoman
28. Chantal Petitclerc (1969- ) Wheelchair racer
29. Kim Soo-nyung (1971- ) Archer
30. Kristi Yamaguchi - 1971- Figure Skater
31. Layne Collette Beachley (1971-) Surfer
32. Mia Hamm (1972 -) Soccer Player
33. Lisa Leslie 1972- Basketball player
* INFOGRAPHIC: STATISTICS IN SPORTS
34. Manon Rhéaume (1972-) Ice Hockey goaltender
35. Deng Yaping (1973-) Ping Pong Player
36. Valentina Vezzal (1974-) Fencer and Politician
37. Ellen MacArthur 1976- Yachtswoman
38. Melissa Stockwell (1980-) Para-triathlete and U.S. Army officer.
39. Jolene Van Vugt (1980-) Motocross rider
40. Serena Williams (1981- ) and Venus Williams (1980- ) Tennis players and Olympians 41. Nicola Adams (1982-) Boxer
42. Beryl Burton, (1937-1996) Cyclist
* INFOGRAPHIC: INFLUENTIAL FEMALE TEAMS
43. Kelly Clarke (1983-) Snow Border
44. Natalie du Toit (1984-) Swimmer and paralympian
45. Lindsey Vonn 1984- Alpine Skier
46. Ronda Jean Rousey (1987-) Mixed Martial artist
47. Michelle Wie (1989-) Golfer
48. Mariana Pajón (1991-) BMX Cyclist
49. Gabby Douglas 1995 - Artistic Gymnast
50. Missy Franklin 1995 - Swimmer
* INFOGRAPHIC: MORE WOMEN IN SPORTS
Most Helpful Customer Reviews