- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Imagine yourself sitting at a table surrounded by people you know very well. All eyes seem to be on you. Who's sitting at the table with you? Are any of your family members there? Which of your friends are seated at the table? A sense of anticipation fills the room. Everyone is waiting for the special moment. How are you feeling? What's going through your mind as everyone is watching you?
Suddenly the lights go out and the doors fl y open. Someone is walking toward the table with a cake. Candles are burning on top of it. It's for you. It's your birthday cake! Everyone begins singing, "Happy birthday to you ... happy birthday to you." What's going through your mind as everyone sings to you? Why do you imagine these particular people at the table with you? Is anyone missing who should be here?
As everyone finishes singing, someone asks you to make a wish. What do you wish for? What if your wish could come true? How would it change things? Or would it? As you close your eyes to blow out the candles, what are you thinking about? What's your heart telling you? As the smoke from the candles begins to clear and the lights go on again, it seems as though everyone is waiting for you to say something. What happens next?
______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
Scripture Guides Us
The Bible describes the day of your birth as a significant event. God celebrates your birthday because you are created in his image, and God wants a relationship with you forever. God celebrates your life because you're created to experience the fullness of the incredible life God's given you.
Take a few minutes to "chew on" the following Scripture verses, allowing God's Spirit to speak to you.
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Questions for Reflection
1. Why do you think God is so up on life?
2. What makes you feel fully alive? 3. What do you think it means to be God's "workmanship"?
4. If you could choose only three people to be at the table with you, who would they be? Why?
5. Which of your birthday celebrations brings back the best memories? Why?
6. Which birthday celebration, if any, would you rather not remember? Why not?
7. What would your life be like if God gave you everything you wished for? What are you wishing for most in life right now? Why?
8. How can unfulfilled wishes sometimes be a blessing in disguise? 9. What would you say to the people at the table if you had the chance?
10. Do you ever feel obligated to say something when you wish you could just stay quiet? How does that make you feel?
11. What do you think Jesus would say to you if he were sitting at the table with you on your birthday? What would you say to him if you could?
Excerpted from Chew on This by Dave Ambrose Copyright © 2007 by Dave Ambrose. Excerpted by permission.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Posted April 28, 2013
No text was provided for this review.