Effective Date: August 5, 2016
These current privacy policies and the privacy practices described herein apply to personal information previously collected from you by Barnes & Noble, Inc. and each of its subsidiaries, as well as personal information that they may collect from you in the future.
Clarity: We strive to communicate clearly about your privacy and how we handle your personal information.
Security: We follow security standards, processes and procedures that are designed to protect your personal information.
Integrity: We do not sell or rent your personal information and respect your preferences with respect to your personal information.
Below you will find answers to the following frequently asked questions about how we collect, use and share your personal information:
- What is the personal information that we collect?
- Why do we collect personal information?
- How do we collect your personal information?
- How do we use personal information?
- With whom do we share personal information?
- How do we secure personal information?
- How do we respect your choices about your personal information?
- Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
1. What is the personal information that we collect?
Depending on how you choose to interact with the Barnes & Noble enterprise, we may collect personal information from you, for example your name, e-mail address, billing address, shipping address, phone number, credit card or bank account information, date of birth and other persistent identifiers that can be used to personally identify you. If you rent, purchase or otherwise place orders for textbooks or e-textbooks from Barnes & Noble, we may also collect your student or faculty identification number, financial aid number, your driver license number, information regarding courses you enroll in or teach, your program of study and graduation year. We may also collect other personal information regarding your interaction with Barnes & Noble Websites, Devices and Apps, including usage information, the items that you browse, purchase, download, read, watch and otherwise access, and your geographic location.
2. Why do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information in an effort to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our business. It allows us to provide you with easy access to our products and services, with a particular focus on the items and programs that may be of most interest to you. For more information as to why we collect personal information, please see the section below entitled: "How do we use your personal information?" Your personal information also allows us to communicate with you about special offers, promotions, and other marketing
programs and news that may be of interest to you. You always have the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional emails by following the instructions included in each marketing email or by changing your preferences in your account. You may unsubscribe from mobile notifications by changing your settings in the Apps or on your Barnes & Noble or third party device.
(a) Information that you provide to us
However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or placing an order
- Creating an account or joining the Barnes & Noble Member Program
- Applying for a Barnes & Noble MasterCard
- Using Barnes & Noble Websites, Devices and Apps
- Contacting customer service
- Interacting with social networking sites
- Entering a sweepstakes or contest
- Publishing through NOOK Press
- Signing up for promotional communications or using Invite-a-Friend or NOOK Press Collaborator emails
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Making a purchase or placing an order
When you make a purchase or place an order in our stores, place an order online or purchase, download, rent or stream digital books, periodicals, movies, television shows and other digital content ("Digital Content"), you may need to submit personal information to us.
Creating an account or joining the Barnes & Noble Member Program
Applying for a Barnes & Noble MasterCard
When you apply for a Barnes & Noble MasterCard, you will need to submit personal information directly to the issuer of the MasterCard. Personal information that you provide directly to the issuer is subject to the bank's privacy policies, practices and procedures, not Barnes & Noble's. In addition, we disclose certain personal information to the issuer of the MasterCard in connection with the administration of the Barnes & Noble MasterCard program. The issuer does not have the right to use the personal information we provide beyond what is necessary to assist us or to administer this program. The issuer is contractually obliged to maintain the confidentiality and security of the personal information we provide and is restricted from using such information in any way not expressly authorized by us.
Using Barnes & Noble Websites, Devices and Apps
Barnes & Noble Websites, Devices and Apps may provide you with the ability to enter (either directly, or by authorizing Barnes & Noble to access the information from a third party such as a social networking site or application) certain information such as your contacts, calendar entries or photos, or images you may submit to us to help us locate products for you.
Contacting Customer Service
When you contact customer service, we may ask you to provide, or confirm, personal information so that we can better serve you.
Entering a sweepstakes or contest
If you enter a sweepstakes or contest we offer, we may ask you to provide personal information so that we can consider your entry and, if you win, so that you may redeem your prize.
Interacting with social networking sites
Our Devices and Apps may provide you with the ability to enter (directly, or by authorizing us to download the information from a third party such as a social networking site or application) personal information such as contacts or lists of friends. These or related applications may also allow you to provide information directly to social networking sites including information about your purchases, physical location, or comments.
Publishing through NOOK Press
If you elect to publish your content via our NOOK Press service, we may ask you to provide your bank account and routing information so that we can direct payments to you.
Signing up for promotional communications or using Invite-a-Friend or NOOK Press Collaborator emails
If you sign up to receive promotional communications or notifications from us, we may ask you to provide personal information so that we can provide these to you.
Our Invite-a-Friend feature is located in various areas of certain Barnes & Noble Websites and within certain Devices. By clicking on 'Email' or 'Find friends from contacts' on your Device, customers can email a link to a friend which will invite the friend to view the Barnes & Noble Website page or attend the event described on that page.
The 'Find friends from contacts' feature on the Device may access the contacts you have entered into your Device in order to generate such emails. To remove yourself from these mailings, please call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-824-2665). Individuals calling from abroad should call us at 1-201-559-3882.
The NOOK Press Collaborator feature may allow you to share your content with other NOOK Press account holders so that they may view and comment upon your work. As part of this feature, you may receive email notifications from your NOOK Press Collaborators. To remove yourself from these mailings, please email NOOK Press Customer Service at email@example.com.
(b) Information automatically collected
There are circumstances in which we automatically receive and collect information from you. The most common sources of this information include:
- Web server logs
- Pixel tags or clear GIFs
- Third party web analytics services
- Targeted advertising
- Your Device or Apps you use
- Geolocation, including general and precise location information
- Wireless networks operated by Barnes & Noble in retail stores
- Social networking sites
- Business partners, contractors, and other third parties
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Web server logs
When you visit a Barnes & Noble Website, our web servers may automatically log information that your browser sends us. For example, we may receive and collect: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the date and time you access the Barnes & Noble Website; and the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to the Barnes & Noble Website. We may also collect information regarding search queries run on the Barnes & Noble Website. We use this information to monitor the usage of the Barnes & Noble Websites and as necessary for our business.
Browsers are typically set to create cookies automatically. You can choose to have your browser notify you when cookies are being written to your computer or accessed, or you can disable cookies entirely. If you disable cookies, however, you will not be able to place items in a Barnes & Noble Website shopping bag, and therefore you will not be able to place an order with us online. Also, by not using cookies, some Barnes & Noble Website features and services may not function properly.
Pixel tags or clear GIFs
We may use sensing technologies that use pixel tags or clear GIFs (which are also called web beacons). These technologies allow us to determine the effectiveness of our e-mail and advertising and marketing efforts. For this purpose, we tie the pixel tags and clear GIFs to personally identifiable information. We may also collect information regarding the links within such marketing materials that you click on and purchase statistics regarding items you buy following receipt of such marketing.
Third party web analytics services
We work with third party service providers, including but not limited to Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, and Localytics to help us better understand how you use the Barnes & Noble Websites. These third party service providers will place cookies in your browser to collect information such as how you were referred to the Barnes & Noble Website, how you navigate around the Barnes & Noble Website, what you purchase and what traffic is driven by various marketing methods. This information will help us to better serve you and provide you with more personalized information and product offerings. We do not allow third party service providers to collect your credit card information, e-mail address or password information. These third party service providers may only use your personal information to perform services for us and may not share your personal information with anyone else, or use it for any other purpose, except on an aggregated, non-personally identifiable basis.
We participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Co-op to better understand how you use Barnes & Noble’s Website across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored promotions. Go to https://cross-device-privacy.adobe.com to learn more about how Adobe does this and to manage your choices relating to this linking of devices.
Your Device or Apps you use, including geolocation
When you use a Device or our Apps, we automatically collect information through the Device or App when it is connected to the Internet. For example, we may receive and collect information concerning device registration, operating system, settings, usage, firmware version, signal strength, search queries, network interaction, the name of the network from which you access the Internet, the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device you are using, unique device identifiers (UDIDs), downloads, sideloaded content, configuration, or service information relating to any malfunction of the Device or App. This may include information regarding your activity on such Devices or Apps, such as books or videos opened, date and time of use, time elapsed, page turns, bookmarks, annotations or customer reviews.
In addition, to provide location-based services on Devices or through Apps, Barnes & Noble and third party application providers may automatically collect real-time geographic location information or other location-based information about you and your Device or other mobile device on which the App is installed. This information may be used to provide certain device or application functionality or to offer, provide and improve products and services.
Wireless networks operated by Barnes & Noble in retail stores
Social networking sites
Business partners, contractors, and other third parties
We may collect personal information and other information about you from business partners, contractors and other third parties. This includes, but is not limited to, instances in which you affirmatively authorize third parties to provide us with information. Such information may be collected via, but not limited to, software applications that you download or use on your Device or that otherwise allow you to interact with the Barnes & Noble enterprise.
We participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Identity Cooperative to better understand how you use our website and apps across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored promotions. Click here to learn more about how Adobe does this.
Barnes & Noble uses your personal information across our enterprise to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our businesses. For example, we use your personal information to:
- Provide you with products, services and information across the Barnes & Noble enterprise, including product and subject recommendations and other information in Barnes & Noble retail stores, through emails from our businesses, and on the Barnes & Noble Websites and online interactive communities, your Devices, Digital Content, Apps and software, and display associated content and advertising;
- Administer our programs;
- Provide customer service in stores, by telephone and online;
- Conduct research and perform analysis in order to measure, maintain, protect, develop and improve our products and services;
- Administer sweepstakes, contests, promotions or surveys and provide appropriate notifications;
- Communicate with you about special offers, events, or new products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize and enhance the Barnes & Noble Websites and advertising;
- Make communications necessary to notify you regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues; and
- Manage our business.
Protecting the privacy and security of your personal information is a priority at Barnes & Noble. Barnes & Noble DOES NOT SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES.
Please note that your data may be transferred to or shared with a third party as part of a sale, merger, or acquisition of Barnes & Noble or one of its affiliates (see "Sales, Mergers, and Acquisitions" below).
Barnes & Noble shares your personal information with:
- Other entities within the Barnes & Noble enterprise. Barnes & Noble owns and operates other operations and businesses and we may share your personal information with our other business units and operations, even if such business units or operations are sold.
- Partners. We provide personal information to our partners that provide product and service offerings or technologies that we think may be of interest to you. Our partnerships may also result in products and services that allow you to publish Digital Content that may be shared with our partners. We may offer you the opportunity to opt-in to receive information from our partners, which may result in your personal information being shared with our partners. The use of your information by our partners and their vendors and contractors will be subject to the privacy policies of our vendors once such information is transferred.
- Service providers, subcontractors and agents who perform services on our behalf. We provide personal information to third party service providers, subcontractors, and agents that work under contract on our behalf to provide certain services. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Barnes & Noble. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Third party providers of products and services. These are third parties that provide products and services you may purchase or request from or through us. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Barnes & Noble. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Third party membership programs. We work with certain third party entities to help them administer their own membership or rewards programs by providing them with purchasing information about their customers who make purchase from Barnes & Noble. We disclose only the information that is necessary to make these third party programs work and to support your membership in them. This information usually includes your name and e-mail address as well as the dollar amount of the purchases made at Barnes & Noble. We require such entities to obtain your consent before we provide them with this information, which they usually do as part of their own membership or participation rules.
- Credit card companies. Credit card transactions are handled by third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors who receive credit card numbers and other personal information from us to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions. Although Barnes & Noble's treatment of this information is governed by this policy, the use of your information by the third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors will be subject to their own privacy policies.
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law. Barnes & Noble may release personal information to third parties when we determine, in our judgment, that it is necessary to (a) comply with the law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements; or (c) protect the rights, property or safety of Barnes & Noble, our employees, our customers, users, or others.
We take significant and appropriate security measures, including physical, technological and procedural measures, to help to safeguard your personal information and to prevent unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use industry-standard technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology in the transmission of certain sensitive personal information, designed to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information, and, as technology develops, we intend to take additional measures to improve security.
We want you to feel confident whenever you visit us in our stores, on the Barnes & Noble Websites, or use Barnes & Noble Devices or Apps. While we are focused on the security of your personal information and follow strict standards, processes and procedures that are designed to protect your personal information, you must remember that the Internet is a global communications vehicle open to threats, viruses and intrusions from others and so we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that we will be able to protect your personal information at all times and in all circumstances.
You may choose to opt out from receiving marketing and promotional communications from Barnes & Noble at any time by following the instructions below.
- For Barnes & Noble Booksellers: At any time, a customer may choose to opt-out of the receipt of any promotional communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each email and following the instructions, or by emailing our Customer Service Department by clicking here.
- For barnesandnoble.com and NOOK: Any account holder can opt-out of the receipt of any promotional communications by logging onto their Account and following the instructions under "Communication Preferences". If you do not have a barnesandnoble.com or NOOK account, you may opt out of the receipt of such communications by selecting the link at the bottom of any promotional email communication and following the instructions.
- For Barnes & Noble Member program: Any participant can opt out of the receipt of any Member program promotional communications by logging on to their barnesandnoble.com Account and following the instructions under "Change Your Communication Preferences." If you do not have a barnesandnoble.com account, you may opt-out of the receipt of such communications by selecting the link at the bottom of any promotional email communication and following the instructions.
- For Barnes & Noble Educator program: Any Educator can opt out of the receipt of any promotional communications by logging on to their barnesandnoble.com Account, clicking "Communication Preferences," and following instructions under "Change Communication Preferences." If you do not have a barnesandnoble.com account, you may opt out of the receipt of such communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each email and following the instructions. If no opt out link exists reply to the email with the word "Remove" in the subject line, or by e-mailing our Customer Service Department by clicking here.
- For the Barnes & Noble Gift Card website: Any customer of the Barnes & Noble Gift Card website who receives promotional communications can opt-out of the receipt of any such communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each email and following the instructions or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For SparkNotes.com: Any SparkNotes.com customer who does not wish to receive promotional product and service communications can choose to remove their contact information from SparkNotes.com contact list by following the instructions listed on www.sparknotes.com.
- For Sterling Publishing: If, at any time, you wish to no longer receive ENewsletters from Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., Lark Crafts, and/or FlashKids.com, please click on the link for opt out instructions contained at the bottom of each ENewsletter. You can change your personal information and your communication preferences when you follow this link.
- For Invite-a-friend emails: You may choose to opt out of receiving communications from other of our customers through Invite-a-Friend features by calling our Customer Service Center at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665. Individuals calling from abroad should call us at 1-201-559-3882.
- For NOOK Press collaborator emails: You may choose to opt out of receiving NOOK Press collaborator emails by contacting NOOK Press Customer Service at email@example.com.
Even if you opt-out of receiving promotional communications, you may continue to receive emails and notifications relating to order confirmations, back order notifications, membership information, and/or other business-related communications.
Analytics & Targeted Advertising
You may choose to opt out of collection of automatically collected information, including cookies, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics and targeted advertising, by following the instructions given in Section 3(b) above, or by using the functionality in your browser to reject cookies.
Online Community Users
Barnes & Noble provides you with the ability to access, correct, change or request deletion of the personal information in your community profile(s) at any time by following the instructions below. We will respond to all access requests within 30 days. However, you cannot currently change your profile name although you may re-register and choose a new name. To review or modify your profile information, please click here.
Please be advised that Barnes & Noble may archive information it collects on its community and visitors. Additionally, by participating in the Barnes & Noble online interactive community, including but not limited to, the submission of customer reviews, participation in Barnes & Noble's other various interactive offerings, you agree to receive communications from Barnes & Noble, other users, and moderators related to the provision of these services. You may access, correct or change the personal information in your community profile(s) on Lark Crafts at any time. To review or modify your profile information, log in to larkcrafts.com. Additionally, by using Lark Crafts' various interactive offerings, you agree to receive communications from Barnes & Noble, Lark Crafts, other users, and moderators related to the provision of these services.
You may also access, correct or change the personal information in your community profile(s) on SparkNotes.com at any time, except to change your username. To review or modify your profile information, log in to SparkNotes.com. Additionally, by using SparkNotes.com's various interactive offerings, you agree to receive communications from Barnes & Noble, SparkNotes, other users, and moderators related to the provision of these services.
Policies for Minors, including children under the age of 13
Barnes & Noble is committed to complying with all applicable laws and regulations regarding the collection, storage and use of personal information of Minors under the age of 13, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998.
Except as noted below : (i) our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by adults or with the consent of adults; (ii) Individuals under the age of 18 ("Minors") are not permitted to use Barnes & Noble Websites or Apps without the supervision of a parent or legal guardian; (iii) we do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for an online account or to post personal information on the Barnes & Noble Websites; and (iv) should we learn that someone under the age of 13 has provided any personal information to or on any of the Barnes & Noble Websites, we will remove that information as soon as possible.
If you are a parent or guardian who believes that your Minor under the age of 13 has submitted personal information or other information to us without your consent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we verify that you are the parent or legal guardian, at your request, we will promptly provide to you information regarding what, if any, personal information we have collected about your child and how it has been used or shared. We will, at your request, remove personal information about your child from its database and instruct our affiliates and third party partners to do the same.
If you are a Minor under the age of 18, you may request and obtain removal of certain content or information posted on Barnes & Noble Websites and Apps by sending an email to email@example.com with “Privacy Rights for Minors” in the subject line. Please be advised that our removal of your post(s) does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted on Barnes & Noble Websites or Apps.
Data retention policy
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Accessing your information
You have the right to ask us not to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You also have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies rectified. Please note that, as permitted by law, we may charge a nominal fee for information requests and may require you to prove your identity. Following a request, we will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you in our files. Please address written requests and questions about this to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to all access requests within 30 days.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents to request a notice from us describing which categories of personal information we have shared with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates' direct marketing purposes within the last calendar year, and the name and address of such parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please send an email to email@example.com with "California Privacy Rights Request" in the subject line.
Do Not Track Disclosure
Important information about third party devices, ISPs, websites and applications
Information collected from visitors from outside the United States
If you are visiting Barnes & Noble or a Barnes & Noble Website from outside the United States and provide us with personal information, please note that your personal information will be transferred, stored and processed within the United States. Additionally, Barnes & Noble may transfer your personal information to other countries, for example because a server or third party service provider is located there. The data protection and privacy laws of other countries, including the United States, may not afford you the same level of protection as those in your own country. Barnes & Noble will take appropriate steps to protect your information. By doing business or interacting with Barnes & Noble, you are consenting to the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information to and within facilities located in the United States and other facility locations selected by Barnes & Noble.
The address for Barnes & Noble is 122 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011.
Released: August 5, 2016