Africa's Moment / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
The 21st century will be the century of Africa. This continent wasonce seen as empty, rural, animist, poor, and forgotten by theworld. Now, fifty years after independence, it is full to bursting,urban and monotheist. If poverty and violence are still rampant,economic growth has taken off again and a middle class isdeveloping. Africa will hold a central place in the big issuesfacing the world today. If it once made a ‘falsestart’, here it is back again – in the fast lane.
The West has missed the turnaround of a continent that will nolonger wait for us. How can we best understand it? Demography,economics, politics, diplomacy, cultures and religions – thisbook presents the different facets of this new Africa, which willsoon have a billion people, at the mid point of the most rapidpopulation boom that humanity has ever known. Without ignoring therisks of its metamorphosis, it brings to light the forces and hopesthat Africa harbors.
|Product dimensions:||6.38(w) x 9.29(h) x 1.07(d)|
About the Author
Jean-Michel Severino is a former vice-president of the WorldBank and CEO of the Agence Française de Développement. Henow runs I&P Management, a private equity impact investmentfund dedicated to African small and medium size enterprises.
Olivier Ray works at the French Ministry of ForeignAffairs Department for Policy Analysis.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by Paul Collier
- Part One: The Peopling of a Continent
- Chapter 1: Who Wants to Be a Billionaire?
- Chapter 2: Malthus on CNN
- Part Two: Africa on the Move
- Chapter 3: A Black Peril?
- Chapter 4: Crowded Roads
- Part Three: Africa Versus Growth
- Chapter 5: The Undiscoverable Curse
- Chapter 6: The Great Wheel of Growth
- Part Four: When Africa Awakes
- Chapter 7: The Great Clean-Up
- Chapter 8: Emerging Africa
- Part Five: God's Africa
- Chapter 9: Urban Compositions
- Chapter 10: Crescent and Cross
- Chapter 11: Switched-On Africa
- Chapter 12: The End of Ethnicity
- Chapter 13: African Democracy
- Part Six: One March, Three Directions
- Chapter 14: Countries of Rent, Countries in Danger
- Chapter 15: The Vanguard of Development
- Chapter 16: Fragile Africa: One Crisis After Another
- Part Seven: Africa, The World's Vitality
- Chapter 17: The End of Infinity
- Chapter 18: Light Against Darkness
- Chapter 19: The Hunger for Land
- Chapter 20: The Struggle for Man
- Part Eight: The Newcomer at the Feast of Nations
- Chapter 21: Africa Courted
- Chapter 22: Emerging Powers: Africa's New Exploiters?
- Chapter 23: Acknowledging Africa