Written by an experienced academic author, lecturer and practitioner, this comprehensive textbook provides an introduction to alcohol and drug misuse. It presents:
- the context of alcohol and drug misuse, and the nature and theories of addiction, including a historical overview and policy initiatives in contemporary society
- an overview of the problems associated with psychoactive substances and their impact on groups such as culturally and linguistically diverse communities, young people, women, older people and the homeless
- an understanding of the generic role responses to substance misuse in a variety of different settings and contexts, including primary care, the community and hospitals
- a framework for assessment, care planning, harm reduction approaches, dealing with overdose, intoxication and withdrawals, and psychological and pharmacological interventions
- an accessible and skills-oriented approach to assist students and practitioners in dealing with alcohol and drug misuse.
This new edition is fully updated and includes new material on: evidence-based pharmacological interventions; recent global strategies in alcohol and drug; dual diagnosis and women; shisha smoking; and current statistics on prevalence of alcohol and drug misuse
Alcohol and Drug Misuse takes into account current policy and practice for substance use and misuse and includes a range of pedagogical features to enhance learning. It is essential reading for nursing, health and social work students taking substance misuse modules, as well as related CPD courses for health and social care professionals.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||3 MB|
About the Author
G. Hussein Rassool is Professor of Psychology and Islamic Psychology, Dean of the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Head of the Department of Psychology, Islamic Online University. He is also an independent consultant in addiction and mental health, and Clinical Consultant and Executive Director of the Islamic Online University Counselling Service.
Table of Contents
List of figures and tables, Preface to the second edition, Preface, Structure of the book, Acknowledgements PART 1. Alcohol and drugs and global policy initiatives 1. Introduction to substance use and misuse 2. Self-awareness and attitude 3. Historical overview 4. Models and theories of addiction 5. Nature of addiction 6. Global policy initiatives and strategy in alcohol and drug PART 2. Psychoactive substances 7. Alcohol 8. Opiates 9. Cannabis 10. Stimulants: amphetamines, cocaine and khat 11. Hallucinogens 12. Anabolic steroids, amyl and butyl nitrite, hypno-sedatives, volatile substances, over-the-counter-drugs, smart and eco drugs 13. Nicotine addiction, electronic nicotine delivery systems and Shisha smoking PART 3. Special issues and populations 14 Drug-related infections 15. Alcohol and drug use in women 16. Mental health problems and substance misuse: comorbidity 17. Alcohol and drug misuse in culturally and linguistically diverse communities 18. Vulnerable people: the elderly and homeless and alcohol and drug misuse 19. Young people: alcohol and drug misuse PART 4. Role, prevention and strategies for change 20. Generic role in response to alcohol and drug misuse 21. Public health approaches to substance misuse 22. Strategies in helping people to change 23. Working with diversity: cultural competence. PART 5. Care planning and intervention strategies 24. Framework for assessment, risk assessment and screening 25. Care planning: principles and practice evaluation 26. Psychosocial and pharmacological interventions 27. Harm reduction approach 28. Intoxication and overdose: health interventions. 29. Drug misuse: pharmacological and psychosocial interventions 30. Alcohol misuse: pharmacological and psychosocial interventions 31. Smoking cessation: health interventions. 32. Competence and professional development Index