Bluefield is truly Virginia's tallest town. The town's elevation is officially 2,389 feet, with East River Mountain reaching 3,700 feet at the town's southern limit. In its long, illustrious history, the community has had four distinctive names. The small, agricultural community began as Pin Hook. Then the town became Harman in honor of a local Civil War hero, E. H. Harman. With the arrival of the railroad, the town was first incorporated under the name of Graham in 1884 in honor of the Philadelphia engineer and promoter Col. Thomas Graham. Finally, the town was redubbed Bluefield in 1924 to coincide with its neighbor across the state line. The name Bluefield comes from the fields of blue chicory that are common to this region of the two Virginias.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Louise B. Leslie is a retired editor of the Clinch Valley News. She currently writes and edits for several local publications. Dr. Terry W. Mullins retired after 30 years as a teacher of government and history at Rocky Gap and Tazewell High Schools. He is now an associate professor of education at Concord University in Athens, West Virginia. Images of America: Bluefield, Virginia, is the fifth volume Mullins and Leslie have coauthored with Arcadia Publishing.