So you want to turn your Yugo into a Viper? Sorryyou need a certified magician. But if you want to turn your sedate sedan into a mean machine or your used car lot deal into a powerful, purring set of wheels, you’ve come to the right place. Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies will get you turbo-charged up about modifying your car and guide you smoothly through:
- Choosing a car to mod
- Considering warranties, legal, and safety issues
- Hacking the ECU (Engine Control Unit) to adjust performance-enhancing factors like fuel injection, firing the spark plugs, controlling the cooling fan, and more
- Replacing your ECU with a plug and play system such as the APEXi Power FC or the AEM EMS system
- Putting on the brakes (the faster you go, the faster you’ll need to stop)
- Setting up your car for better handling and cornering
Written by David Vespremi, automotive expert, frequent guest on national car-related TV shows, track driving instructor and self-proclaimed modder, Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies gets you into the ECU and under the hood and gives you the keys to:
- Choosing new wheels, including everything from the basics to dubs and spinners
- Putting your car on a diet, because lighter means faster
- Basic power bolt-ons and more expensive power adders
- Installing roll bars and cages to enhance safety
- Adding aero add-ons, including front “chin” spoilers, real spoilers, side skirts, and canards
- Detailing, down to the best cleaners and waxes and cleaning under the hood
- Using OBD (on-board diagnostics) for troubleshooting
- Getting advice from general Internet sites and specific message boards and forums for your car’s make or model, whether it’s a Chevy pick-up or an Alfa Romeo roadster
Whether you want to compete at drag strips or on road courses or simply accelerate faster on an interstate ramp, if you want to improve your car’s performance, Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies is just the boost you need.
About the Author
David Vespremi is the founder of Boost Communications, a PR and marketing agency for automotive tuning companies. He develops program segments on automotive high performance for TechTV.
Table of Contents
Part I: Owning a Performance Car.
Chapter 1: Cool Car Basics.
Chapter 2: Planning It Smart.
Part II: Safety.
Chapter 3: Balanced Performance.
Chapter 4: Safety Gear.
Part III: Rims and Rubber.
Chapter 5: Tires.
Chapter 6: Wheels.
Part IV: Stylin’.
Chapter 7: Fashion Is a Fickle Thing.
Chapter 8: Vanity? Performance? A Little of Both?
Chapter 9: Detailing 101.
Part V: Slowing Down.
Chapter 10: Slowing Down.
Chapter 11: Basic Braking Bolt-Ons.
Part VI: Corner Carver.
Chapter 12: I Just Want to Hang (Onto the Road).
Chapter 13: Basic Handling Bolt-Ons.
Chapter 14: Get on the Diet!
Part VII: Let’s Go!
Chapter 15: Basic Power Bolt-Ons.
Chapter 16: Building a Strong Foundation.
Chapter 17: Thinking of Adding Boost.
Chapter 18: Have Boost, Need More.
Part VIII: Faster Thinking.
Chapter 19: Scanning the Codes.
Chapter 20: What’s inside Your Car’s Brain.
Chapter 21: Reflashes and EPROM Swaps.
Chapter 22: Black Boxes.
Chapter 23: Integrated Piggybacks.
Chapter 24: Full Standalone ECUs.
Part IX: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 25: Ten Online Resources.
Chapter 26: Ten Car Modding Problems.