As people increasingly migrate to urban settings and more than half of the world's population now lives in cities, it is vital to plan and provide for sustainable and resilient food systems which reflect this challenge. This volume presents experience and evidence-based "state of the art" chapters on the key dimensions of urban food challenges and types of intra- and peri-urban agriculture.
The book provides urban planners, local policy makers and urban development practitioners with an overview of crucial aspects of urban food systems based on an up to date review of research results and practical experiences in both developed and developing countries. By doing so, the international team of authors provides a balanced textbook for students of the growing number of courses on sustainable agriculture, food and urban studies, as well as a solid basis for well-informed policy making, planning and implementation regarding the development of sustainable, resilient and just urban food systems.
About the Author
Henk de Zeeuw is Senior Advisor at the RUAF Foundation, based in Leusden, the Netherlands. The RUAF Foundation (Resource Centres on Urban Agriculture and Food Security) is a global network and a leading centre of expertise in the field of (intra- and peri-) Urban Agriculture and City Region Food Strategies.
Pay Drechsel is Principal Researcher at the International Water Management Institute, based in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and Leader of the Flagship on Recovering and Reusing Resources in Urbanized Ecosystems of the CGIAR Water, Land and Ecosystems Research Program.
Table of Contents
1. Urban Food Systems
Johannes S.C. Wiskerke
2. Urban Food Policies and Programmes: An Overview
Lauren Baker and Henk de Zeeuw
3. Process and Tools for Multi-stakeholder Planning of the Urban Agro-food System
Henk de Zeeuw and Marielle Dubbeling
4. Agriculture in Urban Design and Spatial Planning
Andre Viljoen, Johannes Schlesinger, Katrin Bohn and Axel Drescher
5. Urban Agriculture and Short Chain Food Marketing in Developing Countries
Paule Moustier and Henk Renting
6. Urban Agriculture’s Contributions to Urban Food Security and Nutrition
7. Productive and Safe Use of Urban Organic Wastes and Wastewater in Urban Food Production Systems in Low-income Countries
Pay Drechsel, Ben Keraita, Olufunke Cofie and J. Nikiema
8. Urban Agriculture and Climate Change
Shuaib Lwasa and Marielle Dubbeling
9. Urban Horticulture
Hubert de Bon, Robert J. Holmer and Christine Aubry
10. Urban Livestock Keeping
Delia Grace, Johanna Lindahl, Maria Correa and Manish Kakkar
11. Urban (Agro-)forestry
12. Urban Aquaculture for Resilient Food Systems
Stuart Bunting and David Little
13. Gendering Urban Food Strategies across Multiple Scales
Liam Riley and Alice Hovorka
14. Financing Urban Agriculture: What Do We Know and What Should We Know
15. Role of Urban Agriculture in Disasters and Emergencies
Andrew Adam-Bradford and René van Veenhuizen