- Understand what values are and how they are different from preferences and goals.
- Discover how to help students determine which values they want to enact at school and in life.
- Examine how to incorporate values work into the classroom curriculum in all disciplines.
- Explore examples of classroom experiences that highlight the importance of student empowerment.
- Learn how to bring your own values to the classroom to become a better teacher and colleague.
Contents: Introduction: Empowering Students to Transform What School Means Part I: Activities That Empower Students Chapter 1: Exploration Chapter 2: Motivation Chapter 3: Participation Chapter 4: Openness Chapter 5: Willingness Chapter 6: Empathy Chapter 7: Resilience
Part II: Strategies That Empower Students Chapter 8: Empowering Dialogue Chapter 9: Empowering Partnerships Chapter 10: Empowering Collaborations Chapter 11: Empowering Curriculum Chapter 12: Empowering Inquiry Chapter 13: Empowering Yourself Conclusion: Paths to Empowerment Appendix: Examples of Values References and Resources Index