Get Ready to Read: A Skills-Based Reader , by Karen Blanchard and Christine Root, is a part of a three-level series designed to develop reading and vocabulary building skills. In Get Ready to Read , beginning students progress step by step through task-based activities that promote reading competency and fluency.
- Sharpen Your Reading Skills provides explicit instruction as well as extensive practice and recycling.
- Be an Active Reader features high-interest readings that allow students to apply their skills.
- As You Read activities, including completion of charts, graphs, and outlines, encourage reading with a purpose.
- Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills includes word-attack skills ranging from Using a Dictionary to Using Context Clues.
- Express Your Ideas and Explore the Web extend and enrich the reading experience.
- Read Faster helps build reading fluency and accuracy.
The Ready to Read series also includes Ready to Ready Now and Ready to Read More.
|Publisher:||Pearson Education ESL|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.80(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.40(d)|
Table of Contents
Scope and Sequence
Chapter 1 WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT? FINDING THE TOPIC
Sharpen Your Reading Skills: Finding the Topic
Be an Active Reader: Interview with Mong Meng
Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills: Using a Dictionary–Alphabetizing, Guidewords
Chapter 2 LOOK IT OVER: PREVIEWING AND PREDICTING
Sharpen Your Reading Skills: Previewing, Predicting, Making Corrections
Be an Active Reader: What Color Are Your Wearing?
Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills: Using a Dictionary–Idioms
Chapter 3 READING FOR MEANING: MAIN IDEAS, SUPPORTING DETAILS
Sharpen Your Reading Skills: Main Ideas, Supporting Details
Be an Active Reader: Picture This: Photography, Past and Present
Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills: Using a Dictionary–Parts of Speech
Chapter 4 FINDING THE ORDER: RECOGNIZING TIME ORDER
Sharpen Your Reading Skills: Recognizing Time Order
Be an Active Reader: Things Happen for a Reason
Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills: Using Context Clues
Chapter 5 READ QUICKLY: SCANNING FOR INFORMATION
Sharpen Your Reading Skills: Scanning
Be an Active Reader: Let’s Dance
Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills: Using Word Maps
Chapter 6 EVALUATE INFORMATION: DISTINGUISHING FACTS FROM OPINIONS
Sharpen Your Reading Skills: Distinguishing Facts from Opinion
Be an Active Reader: Beckham: A Soccer Superstar
Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills: Suffixes
Chapter 7 USE THE CLUES: MAKING INFERENCES
Sharpen Your Reading Skills: Making Inferences
Be an Active Reader: My Travels by Train in the Western United States
Sharpen Your Vocabulary Skills: Prefixes
Keep Track of Your Progress