Old Newtown Pennsylvania, now Greensburg has a long history in coal, viewed here in rarely seen photographs.
By 1771, a cluster of cabins flanked what would become the most traveled east-west road between the Allegheny Mountains and Pittsburgh. This settlement, originally called Newtown, emerged as the nucleus of a growing community later renamed for the late General Nathanael Greene. By 1799, Greensburg was already the first county seat and site of the first courts west of the mountains. With the coming of the Pennsylvania Railroad and bituminous coal mining, Greensburg by 1885 was growing, prospering, and bustling with commercial activity. Utilizing rare photographs, some unseen in sixty years, Greensburg concentrates on the city's evolution past 1900, into the years of boom and growth, and through the 1950s, hinting of future decline.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Local resident and lawyer P. Louis DeRose is a member of the Westmoreland County Historical Society, Lincoln Highway Association, and Westmoreland Museum of American Art and former president of the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor. He is a frequent contributor to local publications and co-creator of a touring slide show about historic Greensburg.