Your hands-on guide to Ubuntu
Now it's easier than ever to get the most out of this wildly popular version of Linux. How to Do Everything: Ubuntu leads you through the interface, the built-in applications, and the process of installing software and peripherals. You'll get details on the full-featured OpenOffice.org productivity suite, as well as the fun side of Ubuntu, including graphics, photos, music, videos, and games. Maximize the power of Ubuntu-on PCs or Macs-with help from this practical guide.
- Install Ubuntu and navigate the GNOME desktop
- Add hardware, software, and peripheral devices
- Secure your computer with Firestarter, anti-virus programs, and backup/restore software
- Use the OpenOffice.org suite components-Writer, Calc, Base, Impress, Math, and Draw
- Set up a network and connect to the Internet via Firefox
- Create and publish your own website
- Use Windows applications in Ubuntu
- Play games and enjoy multimedia applications
- Work with Linux shell commands
- Learn to use the vi and Emacs text editors
|Publisher:||McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing|
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Jeffrey T. Orloff is a founding member of SafeWave.org and serves as the director of technology. He has also taught post-secondary classes in Windows Server, IT Security, and Linux and has worked in educational technology for more than 13 years.