2020 Military Writers of America Gold Medal Winner
2020 Reader's Favorite Book Award Winner
A Military Deployment Book for Kids
A Read-Together 32-page, Fully Illustrated, Rhyming Picture Book
A heartwarming story of love, courage, and comfort during deployment for military families with the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines.
In I'll Lend You My Daddy, young boys and girls find ways to manage their feelings about deployment (from goodbyes, to the first night, to missed birthdays) as they eagerly await their fathers' return home. Through the support of family and friends, care packages, and calls, these children grow strong with the knowledge of what it means to serve, generating pride from within, that makes glorious reunions all the more sweet by book's end.
I'll lend you my daddy.
He works for us all.
He keeps the world safe
And answers our call.
- Makes a wonderful book for discussion with military children who have difficulties sorting through their emotions such as sadness, fear, or separation anxiety
- Provides a source of connection for military children with deployed family members to the greater universe of families who go through a similar experience
- Reflects children from diverse families with touching illustrations from the talented Valerie Valdivia in a 32-page full-color picture book format
- An ideal gift for families with young children, preparing for deployment for the first time and during deployment
- A valuable tool for teachers and educators who encourage appreciation for our nation's armed forces and also for the children of those families who make sacrifices every day of the year, including birthdays, Independence Day, Veteran's Day, and Memorial Day, and other holidays of remembrance and appreciation
- Simple, rhyming verse makes for an excellent read-aloud or read-together that is sure to please young listeners and readers
- A terrific complement to other resources like deployment countdown calendars and activity books
"A must-read for young children experiencing the deployment of a parent, it would also make a great read-aloud selection for all young school children to build appreciation for the sacrifices made by military families. It would be a great addition to every school library." - Betsy Beard, Military Writers Society of America
"I ordered this book for my nephew's sons who are 4 and 7. It was a big hit! ... The book is very easy to read and the rhyming adds an undertone of optimism. The illustrations are delightful. This book fills a gap that many families have. Thanks to the author for taking her time to provide a much-needed resource for our military families." - Sharon Hardesty ★★★★★
"No military family with small children, or collections catering to them, should be without this unique, bright, encouraging picture book that emphasizes pride, reunion, sacrifice, and duty." - Diane Donovan, Senior Reviewer at Midwest Reviews
Written by Becky King, mother to a 7-year-old son named Benson when her husband was first deployed to Afghanistan. King hopes the book will give voice to the many children who experience what Benson experienced in a way that will resonate and transform feelings of separation and sadness into feelings of love, courage, resilience, and pride.
Age Level: 4 - 8 years old
Grade Level: Pre-K-3rd Grade
Reading Level: H-L Lexile Measure: 500L - 600L DRA: 14-20
Available in paperback, hardcover, and e-book.