Create compelling 2D games with Learn cocos2d 2:Game Development with iOS. This book shows you how to use the powerful new cocos2d, version 2 game engine to develop games for iPhone and iPad with tilemaps, virtual joypads, Game Center, and more. It teaches you:
- The process and best practices of mobile game development, including sprite batching, texture atlases, parallax scrolling, touch and accelerometer input.
- How to enhance your games using the Box2D and Chipmunk physics engines and other cocos2d-related tools and libraries.
- How to add UIKit views to cocos2d and how to add cocos2d to UIKit apps.
- The ins and outs of the Kobold2D development environment for cocos2d and its pre-configured libraries, including cocos3d and Lua.
Best of all, this book will have you making games right from the very start. It guides you step-by-step through the creation of sample games. These fun examples are modeled after popular App Store games and teach you key concepts of the newcocos2d 2game engine and relevant tools like TexturePacker (texture atlas), PhysicsEditor (physics collision shapes), Particle Designer (particle effects), Glyph Designer (bitmap fonts), and others.
This book offers a rock-solid introduction to creating games made entirely with cocos2d and little or no iOSSDK and OpenGL code. It also details alternative implementations, identifies the best free and commercial tools for cocos2d game development, features coverage of the author’s improved cocos2d game engine (Kobold2D), and even helps you enhance your game’s marketability on the App Store.
|Edition description:||1st ed.|
|Product dimensions:||9.00(w) x 7.40(h) x 1.00(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Your First Game
- Game Building Blocks
- Sprites In-Depth
- Scrolling with Joy
- Shoot ’em Up
- Particle Effects
- Working with Tilemaps
- Isometric Tilemaps
- Physics Engines
- Pinball Game
- Game Center
- Best Tools for cocos2d Development
- Kobold2D Fundamentals
- Out of the Ordinary