The real story behind a very private American fashion iconLilly Pulitzer
Today, Lilly Pulitzer's iconic brand of clean-cut, vibrantly printed clothes called ""Lillys"" can be spotted everywhere. What began decades ago as a snob uniform in Palm Beach became a general fashion craze and, later, an American classic. In contrast to the high visibility of her brand, Lilly Pulitzer has largely kept her tumultuous personal story to herself. Bursting forth into glossy fame from a protected low-key world of great wealth and high society, through heartbreaks, treacheries, scandals, and losses, her life, told in detail here for the first time, is every bit as colorful and exciting as her designs.
- Offers a close-up of Palm Beach society, replete with tropical mischief, reckless indulgences and blatant infidelities as well as fascinating stories about the Pulitzer and Phipps families and their world of eccentrics, high achievers, intermarriages, and glamorous trendsetters
- Takes a fresh look at the Roxanne Pulitzer scandal and the atmosphere that fed it, and other episodes involving Lilly Pulitzer's family and social circle
- Traces the many ups-and-downs in Lilly Pulitzer's personal life as well as her business, which suffered a decline in the 1980s before its resurgent transformation into the thriving success it is today
- Includes 25 black-and-white photographs that bring Lilly Pulitzer's world to life
Lilly is a must read not only for fans of Lilly Pulitzer and her Lilly brand, but for anyone interested in a journey through the world of privilege and the life of a true American original.
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Product dimensions:||6.10(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
KATHRYN LIVINGSTON began her writing career as a staff writer at Harper's Bazaar. As an editor for many years at Town & Country, she pioneered innovative ways of profiling the inner sanctums of privilege and power across America and the world. Her editorial work continued at Time Inc. and later as creative director of acclaimed upscale publications for Tiffany & Co. and Neiman Marcus. She is the author or coauthor of several books, including In the Spirit of Aspen and High Rise Low Down. She lives in New York City.
Table of Contents
1. It Girl of the Sixties 1
2. The Healing Properties of Florida Orange Juice 11
3. Barefoot on Worth Avenue 23
4. Rich, Richer, Richest 39
5. Horse Country 49
6. Of Preps and Debs 73
7. Falling in Love with a Pulitzer 115
8. Lillys Blooming Everywhere 135
9. The Perpetual Party Town 157
10. Lilly’s New Love 181
11. The Stormy Season 197
12. Lilly’s Comeback 209
Source Notes 219
Photo Credits 231
Photo gallery begins on page 95
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
The life background and accomplishments of Lilly Pulitzer were fascinating. A citrus stand was catalyst...really inspiring! Very much enjoyed the read and history.