PHP is experiencing a renaissance, though it may be difficult to tell with all of the outdated PHP tutorials online. With this practical guide, you’ll learn how PHP has become a full-featured, mature language with object-orientation, namespaces, and a growing collection of reusable component libraries.
Author Josh Lockhart—creator of PHP The Right Way, a popular initiative to encourage PHP best practices—reveals these new language features in action. You’ll learn best practices for application architecture and planning, databases, security, testing, debugging, and deployment. If you have a basic understanding of PHP and want to bolster your skills, this is your book.
- Learn modern PHP features, such as namespaces, traits, generators, and closures
- Discover how to find, use, and create PHP components
- Follow best practices for application security, working with databases, errors and exceptions, and more
- Learn tools and techniques for deploying, tuning, testing, and profiling your PHP applications
- Explore Facebook’s HVVM and Hack language implementations—and how they affect modern PHP
- Build a local development environment that closely matches your production server
|Publisher:||O'Reilly Media, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||6.90(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Josh Lockhart is the creator of the Slim Framework for PHP. He also created and maintains PHP The Right Way, a popular initiative in the PHP community to encourage best practices and provide quality information. Josh is a senior developer at New Media Campaigns, a full service web design, development, and marketing agency in Carrboro, North Carolina.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
It's definitely worth a read to get the lay of the land of PHP these days, especially since most PHP books on the shelf are showing their age. However, I will say it's very opinionated and difficult to get meaningful information out sometimes.