Redwood City’s slogan, “Climate Best By Government Test,” describes the fair weather at San Mateo County’s seat, which was established in 1851 as the bayside terminus for the peninsula’s lumber industry. Wharfs located along Redwood Creek formed the basis of the town’s commercial district, and in the 20th century, the city’s port expanded with new industries, such as the Pacific-Portland Cement Company, the Morgan Oyster Company, and Leslie Salt. Meanwhile, Redwood City’s downtown area hosted many civic events, numerous theaters, and the region’s largest retail district. In the 1950s, the city grew along Woodside Road and, soon thereafter, when Redwood Shores was added to its boundaries, expanded north. Today Redwood City has come full circle with a revitalized downtown and a beautifully restored courthouse square.
About the Author
This collection of vintage imagery draws extensively from the photographs of Redwood City native Reg McGovern, a longtime Redwood City Tribune photographer, and the knowledge of his wife, Janet, a communications professional for the San Mateo County Transit District. Coauthor Betty S. Veronico, a commercial property manager, was born and raised in Redwood City. She and her husband, Nicholas A. Veronico, a military and aviation historian, have authored four other local history titles for Arcadia Publishing.
Table of Contents
Acknowledgments 6 Introduction 7
1 Early Days: From Rancho to County Seat 9
2 Downtown: The Heart of the City 37
3 A Town Grows Around Its Industry 57
4 Port of Redwood City: Providing Jobs and Commerce 71
5 Community Involvement: Education, Worship, and Activities 83
6 Around Town 105 Epilogue 126