Skip the spa and give yourself an at home manicure—and here's the perfect author to show how. Ji Baek, the high-energy owner of New York's hottest nail salons, the Rescue Beauty Lounge—written about from Vogue to InStyle, Lucky to Harper's Bazaar, used by designers and stylists, patronized by actors, fashionistas, professionals, and more—presents the definitive guide to beautiful hands and feet. Emphasizing natural beauty, cleanliness, and simplicity, it covers the science of the nail, and why it's important to take vitamins, file regularly, and moisturize constantly; the care of the nail, with step-by-step illustrated directions to achieving professional-quality home manicures and pedicures, including tools, techniques, lotions, polishes; the dressing of the nail—shapes, colors, and styles; the health of the nail and the surrounding skin—how to heal split nails, brittle nails, and ingrown nails, and take care of common problems like calluses and sunspots.
|Publisher:||Workman Publishing Company, Inc.|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||19 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Read an Excerpt
The Ten (Unbreakable) Rules of Nail Care:
1. Take your vitamins. Nails are keratin-based, so make sure you have enough calcium, protein, and nutrients in your diet.
2. Moisturize and hydrate. Dryness can cause your nails to crack and split. Use moisturizer for your outside, drink plenty of water for your inside.
3. Keep your nails clean. There is nothing more unattractive than having dirt under your nails—remember, clean is chic!
4. File your nails weekly into a smooth, even shape, whether they’re short or long.
5. Take care of your tools. Learn the three S’s—sterilization, sanitation, and storage—and be vigilant. Preventable infections are just that—preventable!
6. Trust your instincts. If it hurts, don’t do it. If it feels wrong, stop it. If (heaven forbid) it bleeds, tend to it immediately.
7. If it chips, take it off! If you can see the chip, everyone can see the chip. Uniformly lovely nails are just a swipe of remover away.
8. Don’t be a slave to the trends. If you’re seeing the same color everywhere, only wear it if you like the way it looks. Say no to peer pressure!
9. Don’t be afraid of trends. Get out of your rut and try something new!
10. Have fun! Experiment! Remember, your nails’ style is hardly permanent. If you’re even slightly tired of your current look, change it! If you’re not happy, all it takes is some polish remover and you’re back in the safety zone.
Table of ContentsChapter 1
You’ve got nail
Ji’s story, Land of Opportunity, The Evolution of Beautiful Nails, A Field Guide to the Fingernail, The Ten Unbreakable Rules of Nail Care, You Are Your Nails, The Real Deal on Fakes
Getting started at home
The Instant Medicine-Cabinet Manicure, Lotions & Potion, Do-It-Yourself Exfoliators, Tools of the Trade: An Illustrated Guide, Three Ways to Sterilize Your Tools
The at-home rescue manicure
Manicure Mise en Place, Stage One: Trimming and Smoothing, Shaping Up, Stage Two: Cuticle Care, Stage Three: Finishing Up, Stage Four: Cleanup
The at-home rescue pedicure
Pedicure Mise en Place, Stage One: Getting Ready, Stage Two: Trimming and Shaping, Stage Three: Not-So-Cuticles, Stage Four: Out, Dead Skin!, Stage Five: Finishing Touches-Stage Six: Cleanup
Nail Polish Application 101 Polish Mise en Place, Polishing Fingers, Polishing Toes, French Manicure Tips, Nail Emergency 911!, The Big Spill, Reviving Your Manicure…Quickly! Color Theory Easy Colors and Hard Colors, Whites and Clear, Neutrals, Pinks, Reds, Brown Reds, Cutting-Edge Colors, Caring for Your Polish In the Buff: Naked Nails
The skin you’re in
Aging Hands, The Many Uses of Moisturizer, Working Hands: In the Kitchen, In the Garden, At the Office, Hands in Extreme Conditions, Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!
The imperfect nail: troubleshooting
Types of Problems: Weakness, Discoloration, Ridges, Splits, White Spots, Homemade Wraps, Foot Therapy: Toenail Shape, Calluses, and other Concerns, Athlete’s Feet
NBA (nail-biters anonymous)
Twelve Weeks to a New York, Male Biters, The Emergency Kit—and How to Use It The Program Weeks 1-4: Boot Camp; Weeks 5-8: Recovery; Weeks 9-12: The Promised Land, Once the Twelve Weeks Are Over
Professional nail service