Holidays offer us the luxury of getting away from it all. So, in a different way, do detective stories. This collection of vintage mysteries combines both those pleasures. From a golf course at the English seaside to a pension in Paris, and from a Swiss mountain resort to the cliffs of Normandy, this new selection shows the enjoyable and unexpected ways in which crime writers have used summer holidays as a theme.
These fourteen stories range widely across the golden age of British crime fiction. Stellar names from the past are well represented – Arthur Conan Doyle and G. K. Chesterton, for instance – with classic stories that have won acclaim over the decades. The collection also uncovers a wide range of hidden gems: Anthony Berkeley – whose brilliance with plot had even Agatha Christie in raptures – is represented by a story so (undeservedly) obscure that even the British Library does not own a copy. The stories by Phyllis Bentley and Helen Simpson are almost equally rare, despite the success which both writers achieved, while those by H. C. Bailey, Leo Bruce and the little-known Gerald Findler have seldom been reprinted.
Each story is introduced by the editor, Martin Edwards, who sheds light on the authors' lives and the background to their writing.
About the Author
MARTIN EDWARDS is an award-winning crime writer best known for two series of novels set in Liverpool and the Lake District. He is series consultant for British Library Crime Classics, the Vice Chair of the Crime Writers' Association, and President of the Detection Club. The Golden Age of Murder, his study of the Detection Club, was published in 2015 to international acclaim, and has been nominated for both the Edgar and Agatha awards for the year's best book about the genre.
Table of Contents
- The Adventure of the Devil's Foot by Arthur Conan Doyle
- A Schoolmaster Abroad by E. W. Hornung
- Murder! by Arnold Bennett
- The Murder on the Golf Links by M. McDonnell Bodkin
- The Finger of Stone by G. K. Chesterton
- The Vanishing of Mrs Fraser by Basil Thomson
- A Mystery of the Sand-Hills by R. Austin Freeman
- The Hazel Ice by H. C. Bailey
- Razor Edge by Anthony Berkeley
- Holiday Task by Leo Bruce
- A Posteriori by Helen Simpson
- Where is Mr Manetot? by Phyllis Bentley
- The House of Screams by Gerald Findler
- Cousin Once Removed by Michael Gilbert