Not to be confused with Milwaukee's "South Side," the City of South Milwaukee is in fact a separate and independent community, with a rich and colorful history all its own. It is this spirit of self-sufficiency that has long been a hallmark of South Milwaukee, going back to 1835 when the area was first settled and continuing through the city's remarkable transformation from a small rural settlement to a bustling industrial suburb. Since 1892, the city has been home to Bucyrus International, one of the world's leading manufacturers of heavy excavation equipment. Bucyrus provided employment to South Milwaukee citizens, allowing the city to grow and add more businesses and city services, and to feel an even more confident sense of independence.
|Publisher:||Arcadia Publishing SC|
|Product dimensions:||6.69(w) x 9.61(h) x 0.38(d)|
About the Author
Nels J. Monson, a life-long resident of South Milwaukee, is a local historian and author. He is active in the South Milwaukee Historical Society and is a member of the city's Historical Preservation Commission.