Learn the basics of digital recording, each step of the signal path, and everything from microphone placement to mixing strategy through the eyes and ears of "The Immortal" Roger Nichols, master engineer. From scientifically analyzing the differences between condenser, ribbon, and dynamic microphones, to sharing his secrets to an amazing mix, Nichols delivers something for everyone interested in the science and art of audio engineering-no matter what your experience level. The DVD-ROM includes Pro Tools session files, personally set up by Roger, to give you hands-on training.
The Roger Nichols Recording Method gives you the unique experience of learning directly from Roger-exactly as he would have taught you at one of his famous master classes. It's the ultimate experience of having an eight-time GRAMMY(R)-winning engineer sit down in your studio to teach you from his personal experiences and techniques. This book is excellent for beginners but is still full of gems for seasoned pros who want to know how Roger Nichols always managed to get that sound.
* Plan your recording sessions like a professional engineer and producer
* Choose the right microphones and learn how Roger would place them for a session
* Test microphone patterns; learn about critical distance placement and the 3 to 1 rule
* Understand how digital audio really works to choose the right format for your sessions
* Learn about the signal path from microphone/instrument levels, channels strips, and plugins
* Record multiple takes, overdubs, punch-in techniques, and get tips on editing digital audio files
* Learn Roger's personal tips for mixing, using automation, creating your final mix, and more!