From the layout, excavation, and formwork, through finish carpentry, sheet metal and painting, every step of construction is covered in detail, with clear illustrations and step-by-step instructions. Her you'll find everything you need to know about framing, roofing, siding, insulation and vapor barriers, interior finishing, floor coverings, millwork and cabinets, stairs, chimneys, driveways, walks ... complete "how-to" information on everything that goes into building a wood-frame house.
Many valuable tips are included:
- What you should know about building codes
- Ways to cut costs without cutting quality
- How to use reinforcing properly
- Framing hardware applications
- Manufactured beams & joists
- Fire & safety considerations
This completely rewritten edition of this very popular book gives clear, concise, instructions on time-proven construction as well as the modern building techniques and materials developed in the 1980s and 1990s.