Endorsed by the Chartered Banker Institute as core reading for its professional qualifications, Culture, Conduct and Ethics in Banking supports the need to ensure that banking professionals gain a critical appreciation of the interrelationship between conduct, culture and ethics in banking.
This text considers the social utility of banking and finance, and how formal and informal influences shape banking organizations. Culture, Conduct and Ethics in Banking takes a practical and applied approach and aims to develop the capability of readers to: recognize and contribute towards balanced outcomes for consumers and organizations; understand the impact of reputational deficit; and understand the personal impact of an individual in the workplace. Through case studies and continuous updates to regulations, Culture, Conduct and Ethics in Banking analyzes the evolution of the bank's role in society; examines the impact of legislation, regulation and governance on banking operations; offers a range of ethical theories and their applicability to banking and finance; and helps you critically analyze how to achieve balanced and ethically sound outcomes. Online supporting resources include a glossary and updates to regulation.
About the Author
Fred Bell is an experienced career banker with extensive risk management leadership experience, particularly in operational risk management, change management and business continuity. Working over 39 years in the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), his experience also includes project management and delivery, including the establishment of new businesses and business due diligence exercises. His senior leadership roles have included Head of Operational Risk in the RBS Wealth Division, Head of Risk at Tesco Personal Finance and Head of the RBS Bank of China Risk Programme. The author established and ran RBS's first dedicated business continuity function.
Table of Contents
- Chapter - 00: Introduction;
- Chapter - 01: A Short History of Banking;
- Chapter - 02: The 2007 Financial Crisis;
- Chapter - 03: Ethics Theory – A primer;
- Chapter - 04: Ethics in Business – A primer;
- Chapter - 05: Banking and Competition;
- Chapter - 06: Regulation and Legislation;
- Chapter - 07: Stakeholders, Channels and Products;
- Chapter - 08: Organization and Management;
- Chapter - 09: Culture and Conduct;
- Chapter - 10: Risk Management;
- Chapter - 11: Professionalism and Banking;
- Chapter - 12: Strategy and Decision Making