Essentials of Elementary Social Studies is a teacher-friendly text that provides comprehensive treatment of classroom planning, instruction, and strategies. Praised for its dynamic approaches and a writing style that is conversational, personal, and professional, this text enables and encourages teachers to effectively teach elementary social studies using creative and active learning strategies.
This fifth edition has been significantly refined with new and relevant topics and strategies needed for effectively teaching elementary social studies. New features include:
• In keeping with the book’s emphasis on planning and teaching, an updated chapter on lesson plans. This chapter is designed to provide elementary teachers
with new classroom-tested lesson plans and includes two classroom-tested lessons for each grade level (K–6).
• An expanded chapter on planning. This provides additional discussion about long-range planning and includes examples of lesson plans with details to help students be better prepared.
• An updated chapter on technology designed to better prepare elementary teachers to effectively incorporate technology into social studies instruction. Attention is given to digital history, media literacy, teaching with film and music, popular apps and numerous other types of impactful technology.
• An expanded discussion of the Common Core Standards and C3 Framework and
how it affects teachers.
• An updated chapter titled "Experiencing Social Studies." This chapter focuses on
topics such as teaching with drama, role play, field trips, and service learning.
• A new eResource containing links to helpful websites and suggestions for further reading.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||7.00(w) x 10.00(h) x (d)|
About the Author
William B. Russell III is Professor of Social Science Education at The University of Central Florida, Orlando. He teaches social studies related courses and serves as the Social Science Education Ph.D. coordinator. Dr. Russell serves as the Director for The International Society for the Social Studies and is the Editor-in-Chief of the preeminent journal in the field of social studies education, The Journal of Social Studies Research. His research interests include alternative methods for teaching social studies, pre-service teacher education, and teaching with film. Dr. Russell has published numerous books and peer-reviewed journal articles related to social studies education.
Stewart Waters is Associate Professor of Social Science Education in the Department of Theory and Practice in Teacher Education at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. His research interests include alternative methods for teaching social studies, character education, visual literacy, social studies curriculum, and teaching with film. Dr. Waters is the Conference Coordinator for The International Society for the Social Studies and is the Associate Editor for The Journal of Social Studies Research. Dr. Waters has authored numerous books and peer-reviewed journal articles related to social studies education.
Thomas N. Turner is Professor of Social Science Education in the Department of Theory and Practice in Teacher Education at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. His research interests include teaching elementary social studies, social studies methods, and drama in the classroom. He received his BS in Elementary Education from the University of Cincinnati and his master’s and doctorate in Social Science Education at Pennsylvania State University. He is the author of numerous books and over a hundred book chapters and journal articles.
Table of Contents
List of Figures
List of Tables
Preface to the Fifth Edition
1 Contemporary Elementary Social Studies
2 Social Studies Curriculum
3 Character Education and the Development of Attitudes, Values,
and Decision Making
4 Planning Social Studies Instruction
5 Assessment and Evaluation
6 Reading and Writing in Social Studies
7 Social Studies and Diverse Learners
8 Social Studies and the Acquisition of Skills
9 Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
10 Experiencing Social Studies
11 Technology and Media in Social Studies
12 Lesson Plans for Elementary Social Studies
About the Authors