Ready to experience Washington, D.C.? The experts at Fodor’s are here to help. Fodor’s Washington, D.C. travel guide is packed with customizable itineraries with top recommendations, detailed maps of Washington, D.C., and exclusive tips from locals. Whether you want to explore the Smithsonian Museums, visit the Lincoln Memorial or the White House, or explore the city's increasingly sophisticated restaurant scene, this up-to-date guidebook will help you plan it all out.
This new edition has been FULLY-REDESIGNED with a new layout and beautiful images for more intuitive travel planning! Fodor’s Washington, D.C. includes:
- • AN ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE GUIDE that visually captures the top highlights of Washington, D.C.
- • SPECTACULAR COLOR PHOTOS AND FEATURES throughout, including special features on the National Air and Space Museum, the U.S. Capitol building, and Arlington National Cemetery.
- • INSPIRATIONAL “BEST OF” LISTS that identify the best things to see, do, eat, drink, and more.
- • MULTIPLE ITINERARIES for various trip lengths to help you maximize your time.
- • MORE THAN 20 DETAILED MAPS AND A FREE PULLOUT MAP to help you plot your itinerary and navigate confidently.
- • EXPERT RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS with options for every taste.
- • TRIP PLANNING TOOLS AND PRACTICAL TIPS including: guides to getting around, saving money and time, beating the crowds, and a calendar of festivals and events.
- • LOCAL INSIDER ADVICE on where to find under-the-radar gems.
- • HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL OVERVIEWS that add perspective and enrich your travels.
- • COVERS: The Washington Monument, the White House, the Capitol Building, the National Mall, the Lincoln Memorial, the Smithsonian museums, Arlington National Cemetery, Georgetown's boutiques, U Street's restaurants, Alexandria, Mount Vernon, Annapolis, Baltimore, and more.
Planning on visiting other historic cities on the east coast? Check out Fodor’s Philadelphia, Fodor's Boston, and Fodor's New York City.
About the Author
For over 80 years, Fodor's Travel has been a trusted resource offering expert travel advice for every stage of a traveler's trip. We hire local writers who know their destinations better than anyone else, allowing us to provide the best travel recommendations for all tastes and budget in over 7,500 worldwide destinations. Our books make it possible for every trip to be a trip of a lifetime.
Table of Contents
1 Experience Washington D.C. 6
26 Ultimate Experiences 8
What's Where 18
10 Things to Buy in Washington, D.C. 20
10 Things Not to Do in Washington, D.C. 22
Washington, D.C., Under the Radar 24
Free Things to Do in D.C. 26
Washington, D.C. Best Bets 28
Washington, D.C. Today 30
Best Tours in D.C. 32
What to Read and Watch Before Your Trip 36
Washington, D.C. with Kids 38
2 Travel Smart 39
Know Before You Go: Washington, D.C. 40
Getting Here and Around 42
Before You Go 46
D.C.'s Top Festivals 53
Great Itineraries 54
Washington, D.C. Black History Walk 56
3 The National Mall 59
Neighborhood Snapshot 60
Performing Arts 90
4 Downtown 93
Neighborhood Snapshot 94
Performing Arts 117
5 Capitol Hill And Northeast 121
Neighborhood Snapshot 122
Performing Arts 148
6 Foggy Bottom 153
Neighborhood Snapshot 154
Performing Arts 167
7 Georgetown 171
Neighborhood Snapshot 172
Performing Arts 182
8 Dupont Circle And Kalorama 187
Neighborhood Snapshot 188
Performing Arts 199
9 Adams Morgan 203
Neighborhood Snapshot 204
Performing Arts 211
10 U Street Corridor And Shaw 213
Neighborhood Snapshot 214
Performing Arts 231
11 Upper Northwest 235
Neighborhood Snapshot 236
Performing Arts 244
12 D.C. Waterfront 247
Neighborhood Snapshot 248
Performing Arts 259
13 Arlington 261
Neighborhood Snapshot 262
Performing Arts 277
14 Side Trips From Washington, D.C. 279
Welcome To Side Trips from Washington, D.C. 280
Alexandria, Virginia 283
C&O Canal and Great Falls Parks 293
National Harbor 295
Mount Vernon, Woodlawn, and Gunston Hall 297
Annapolis, Maryland 301
About Our Writers 336
The Mall: America's Town Green 69
On the Hill, Under the Dome: Experiencing the Capitol 129
Arlington, The Nation's Cemetery 267
Black History Walk 57
The National Mall 62-63
Downtown, Chinatown, and Penn Quarter 98-99
Capital Hill and Northeast D.C. 126-127
Foggy Bottom, the West End, and the White House 158-159
Dupont Circle and Kalorama 190-191
Adams Morgan 206
U Street Corridor, Logan Circle, Shaw, and Columbria Heights 218-219
Upper Northwest 238-239
Waterfront, Southeast, The Wharf, and Anacostia 250-251
Arlington and Northern Virginia 264-265
Alexandria, Virginia 284
Mount Vernon, Wood Lawn, and Gunston Hall 300
Annapolis, Maryland 304
Baltimore, Maryland 312-313