Providing a solid foundation in the normal development of functional movement, Functional Movement Development Across the Life Span, 3rd Edition helps you recognize and understand movement disorders and effectively manage patients with abnormal motor function. It begins with coverage of basic theory, motor development and motor control, and evaluation of function, then discusses the body systems contributing to functional movement, and defines functional movement outcomes in terms of age, vital functions, posture and balance, locomotion, prehension, and health and illness. This edition includes more clinical examples and applications, and updates data relating to typical performance on standardized tests of balance. Written by physical therapy experts Donna J. Cech and Suzanne "Tink" Martin, this book provides evidence-based information and tools you need to understand functional movement and manage patients' functional skills throughout the life span.
• Over 200 illustrations, tables, and special features clarify developmental concepts, address clinical implications, and summarize key points relating to clinical practice.
• A focus on evidence-based information covers development changes across the life span and how they impact function.
• A logical, easy-to-read format includes 15 chapters organized into three units covering basics, body systems, and age-related functional outcomes respectively.
• Expanded integration of ICF (International Classification of Function) aligns learning and critical thinking with current health care models.
• Additional clinical examples help you apply developmental information to clinical practice.
• Expanded content on assessment of function now includes discussion of participation level standardized assessments and assessments of quality-of-life scales.
• More concise information on the normal anatomy and physiology of each body system allows a sharper focus on development changes across the lifespan and how they impact function.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.60(d)|
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Definition of functional movement
1. Functional independence: a lifelong goal
2. Theories affecting development
3. Motor development and motor control
4. Motor learning and motor control
5. Evaluation of function
Unit 2: Body systems contributing to functional movement
6. Skeletal system changes
7. Muscle system changes
8. Cardiovascular and pulmonary system changes
9. Nervous system changes
10. Sensory system changes
Unit 3: Functional movement outcomes
11. Vital functions
12. Posture and balance
15. Health and fitness