Leadership in religious schools is a complex and often misunderstood subject. Educational leaders must perform the dual task of encouraging religious identities while relating them to wider issues of citizenship. Religious identity needs to be made relevant to the whole school community - parents, staff, students - and leaders need to take care to expand how human identity is conceived and manifested. Given these challenges, learning and leadership take on a special importance in faith-based and religious schools.
This unique volume brings together leading international scholars in the field to explore the many dimensions of leadership: religious, faith, spiritual, ministerial, educational, and curriculum leadership. The contributors demonstrate, through case studies and grounded theory, that these schools require leaders who are conversant with a very wide range of styles and issues.
Other issues discussed include styles of leadership, relationships with stakeholders, motivation, satisfaction and stress, school culture, and ethos and charisma. This is an insightful collection of essays that will be of great use to all those studying and researching school leadership.
|Product dimensions:||6.10(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Michael T. Buchanan is Senior Lecturer at Australian Catholic University, Australia. He is also the editor of the Religious Education Jourbanal of Australia. He is the author of Managing Curriculum Change in Religious Education and co-author of An Introduction to Catholic Education and Cornerstones of Catholic Secondary Religious Education.
Table of Contents
1. Leadership dimensions associated with leadership roles in faith-based schools
2. Responding to the challenges of post-modernity through an education anchored in Christian Anthropology
3. Learning to lead through service: Undertaking Christian Service-Learning
4. Lifting vision, building responsibility, living the charism and raising performance
5. The Miniaturization of Human Identity: The Challenges to Learn and Lead Amidst Diversity
6. Conquering challenges: Leading Christian schools in Australia
7. Reforming Faith-Based Schools through Peace Education
8. Loneliness, Solitude and Dialogue for Leaders in Faith-Based Schools
9. Education toward Peace Leadership of Jewish and Muslim School Students in Israel
10. Faith based schools and religious socialization