As his ship rounded the high point off Point Loma, San Diego, in 1859, Richard Henry Dana wrote, “We were greeted by the cheering presence of a light-house.” In reality, beams from San Diego’s first lighthouse were repeatedly lost in cloud and fog, and all too soon came agitation for a more effective light at a lower elevation. By 1891, two new lighthouses were constructed to achieve what one could nota major light on the low tip of Point Loma and a secondary light at Ballast Point. Although abandonment of the first lighthouse structure was nearly catastrophic, it still survives today to charm millions of visitors. Now, and long overdue, are new glimpses of the famous and lesser-known lighthouses of San Diego thanks to the memories and photographs belonging to families of the men who kept the lights burning.
About the Author
Kim Fahlen and Karen Scanlon are identical twin sisters who work together on lighthouse-related projects and volunteer at Cabrillo National Monument tending its lighthouse lenses. Karen is an early-childhood educator and writer, and an award-winning freelance author of maritime history. Kim travels the United States and Europe photographing and studying lighthouses, with particular interest in their optics.
Table of Contents
San Diego's First Lighthouse 9
Ballast Point Light Station 27
The Reestablished Point Loma Light Station 63
Life at Point Loma Light Station 73
Neighborhood Lights 107
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Lighthouses of San Diego, California (Images of America Series) based on 0 ratings. 2 reviews.