Mastering Primary Languages introduces the primary languages curriculum and helps trainees and teachers learn how to plan and teach inspiring lessons that make language learning irresistible.
Topics covered include:
· Current developments in languages
· Languages as an irresistible activity
· Languages as a practical activity
· Skills to develop in languages
· Promoting curiosity
· Assessing children in languages
· Practical issues
This guide includes examples of children's work, case studies, readings to reflect upon and reflective questions that all help to exemplify what is considered to be best and most innovative practice. The book draws on the experience of two leading professionals in primary languages, Paula Ambrossi and Darnelle Constant-Shepherd, to provide the essential guide to teaching languages for all trainee and qualified primary teachers.
About the Author
Paula Ambrossi is Lecturer in Primary Education at the Institute of Education, University College London, UK.
Darnelle Constant-Shepherd is Lecturer in Primary Education at the Institute of Education, University College London, UK.
Table of Contents
Series Editors' Preface
How to Use This Book
1. An Introduction to Primary Languages
2. Current Developments in Languages
3. Languages as an Irresistible Activity
4. Languages as a Practical Activity
5. Skills to Develop in Languages
6. Children's Ideas – Promoting Curiosity
7. Assessing Children in Languages
8. Practical Issues