Written by bestselling author Ann Gravells, this is the complete go-to guide for anyone wanting to be (or working as) a teacher or trainer in the further education and skills sector, in the UK and beyond. It has all the information you need to work towards a qualification such as the Award, Certificate or Diploma in Education and Training. It is also relevant to anyone taking a Train the Trainer course, or an international teaching qualification.
The book takes you through all the information you need to know, opening up the topic for learning in an easily accessible way. Interactive activities are included throughout, along with real examples of teaching and training in practice. The book also includes examples of completed teaching documents.
This is a comprehensive text, covering:
- The role of a teacher/trainer
- Factors contributing to learning
- Planning and facilitating learning for groups and individuals
- Using technology and resources to support learning
- Assessing learning
- Quality assurance
- Evaluation, reflection, and continuing professional development (CPD)
- Preparing for a micro-teach session and teaching/observed practice
Ann Gravells is leading a CPD Day on 22nd June in London. The event will focus on Raising quality and improving practice in the FE and Skills sector and is a rare opportunity to learn from leading experts. There will only be a limited number of seats available, so book your place here to avoid disappointment.
About the Author
Ann has been teaching, assessing and quality assuring in the further education and skills sector since 1983. She is a director of her own company Ann Gravells Ltd, an educational consultancy based in East Yorkshire. She specialises in teaching, training, assessment and quality assurance.
Ann holds a Masters in Educational Management, a PGCE, a Degree in Education, and a City & Guilds Medal of Excellence for teaching. She is a Fellow of the Society for Education and Training, and holds QTLS status.
Ann has been writing textbooks since 2006 which are mainly based on her own experiences as a teacher and the subsequent education of trainee teachers. She aims to write in plain English to help anyone with their role. She creates resources for teachers and learners such as Power Points and handouts for the assessment, quality assurance, and teacher training qualifications. These are available via her website: www.anngravells.com
Ann has worked for several awarding organisations producing qualification guidance, policies and procedures, and carrying out the external quality assurance of teaching, assessment and quality assurance qualifications.
She is a consultant to The University of Cambridge’s Institute of Continuing Education, Ofqual, and the awarding organisation Training Qualifications UK (TQUK).
Ann welcomes any comments from readers; please contact her via her website www.anngravells.com
Ann Gravells’ textbooks
The teaching, assessment and quality assurance qualification titles change over time. Ann has written books in the past which reflect these titles and has updated them when they have changed. However, the content of the qualifications and the job roles which teachers, assessors and quality assurers carry out remain very much the same.
Ann has now written three generic books aimed at covering all the teaching, assessment and quality assurance qualifications as well as the relevant job roles. It doesn’t matter what the qualification title might be called now or in the future or which awarding organisation offers it, these three books should meet the required content of them all.
- Principles and Practices of Assessment (2015)
- Principles and Practices of Quality Assurance (2016)
- Principles and Practices of Teaching and Training (2017)
Ann’s first book Delivering Adult Learning was written in 2006 and was aimed at anyone taking the qualification of the same title. This book is no longer in print, but forged the beginning of her writing career and her aim of helping trainee teachers with their role.
Ann is the author of the following text books, many of which are now in new editions (listed here in alphabetical order). Details can be found on her website: www.anngravells.com/books
- Achieving your Assessment and Quality Assurance Units (TAQA) (2014)
- Delivering Employability Skills in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2010)
- Passing Assessments for the Award in Education and Training (2013)
- Passing PTLLS Assessments (2012)
- Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2012)
- The Award in Education and Training (2014)
- What is Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector? (2012)
She is co-author of:
- Equality and Diversity in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2012)
- Passing CTLLS Assessments (2010)
- Planning and Enabling Learning in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2010)
- The Best Vocational Trainer’s Guide (2015)
- The Certificate in Education and Training (2014)
- Passing Assessments for the Certificate in Education and Training (2014)
She has edited:
- Study Skills for PTLLS (2012)
- Achieving QTLS Status (2018)
Table of Contents
IntroductionThe role of a teacher/trainerFactors contributing to learningIdentifying needsPlanning and designing learning programmesTeaching and learning approachesCommunicationUsing resourcesImproving skillsPromoting equality and valuing diversityAssessing learningQuality assuranceEvaluating and improving practiceDelivering a micro teach sessionTeaching practice