The biological interactions of living organisms, and protein-protein interactions in particular, are astonishingly diverse and present numerous challenges to modern biomolecular research because of their complexity. Analysis of patterns and principles governing these interactions has prompted a rapid development of computational methods to identify protein interaction partners and to understand the roles of individual components of protein interaction networks in cell functions.
This book integrates different approaches from bioinformatics, biochemistry, computational analysis and systems biology to offer the reader a comprehensive global view of the diverse data on protein-protein interactions and protein interaction networks. It brings together the descriptions of experimental techniques and expounds on different computational algorithms for protein network analysis and prediction of protein and domain interactions, with each chapter containing a description of the problem, a review of methods and algorithms, a list of resources and current conclusions.
• Reviews experimental techniques for identification of protein interactions
• Discusses protein interaction databases and methods of integrating data from diverse sources
• Describes computational methods to predict protein and domain interaction partners
• Explores the properties of interaction interfaces and highlights approaches to model the assembly of protein complexes
• Examines the topological and dynamical properties of protein interaction networks and presents the tools for comparative analysis of these networks
Written by leading experts, Protein-protein Interactions and Networks provides a broad, thorough and multidisciplinary coverage of this field. It will be invaluable to researchers from academia and the bioinformatics industry, as well as an excellent auxiliary text for graduate students studying the topic.
Table of Contents
Experimental Methods of Protein Interaction Identification and Characterization.- Handling Diverse Protein Interaction Data: Integration, Storage and Retrieval.- Principles of Protein Recognition and Properties of Protein-protein Interfaces.- Computational Methods to Predict Protein Interaction Partners.- Protein Interaction Network Based Prediction of Domain-domain and Domain.- Integrative Structure Determination of Protein Assemblies by Satisfaction of Spatial Restraints.- Topological and Dynamical Properties of Protein Interaction Networks.- From Protein Interaction Networks to Protein Function.- Cross-species Analysis or Protein-protein Interaction Networks.