Designed for advanced undergraduate and graduate courses, Research from the Inside Out is an insider's guide to conducting empirically-based research. Showcasing eight research projects resulting in academic and professional papers, this practical supplementary text is an indispensable resource for those intending to further their academic studies in communication or other related social science disciplines.
In the text, Thomas Hugh Feeley guides students as he "looks under the hood" of the entire research process, including the writing skills needed to present research accurately and convincingly for different audiences. Feeley provides real conversations with communication researchers, often quoting directly from interviews he conducted with them.
Showing students and future researchers in communication what they learned during each of the eight exemplary studies, the researchers candidly reveal the pitfalls, discoveries, and synchronicities that can happen when conducting research.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.50(d)|
Table of Contents
Preface to Exemplary Research
1. Beginning Research: An Introduction
2. Using Multiple Requests to Gain Compliance: Dillard, Hunter, and Burgoon's (1984) Meta-Analytic Review
3. Shoemaker's (1996) Biologically Based Theory of Why We Need News
4. The Media as Cause and Consequence in Communication Research: Slater's (2007) Spirals Model
5.Managing Uncertainty in an Uncertain Organizational Environment: Kramer, Dougherty, & Pierce's (2004) Case
6: The Measurement of Arousal in Interpersonal Communication: Sparks and Greene (1992) Respond
7. Uncertainty Reduction in Interpersonal Communication: Berger and Calabrese (1975) Study Communication in
8. Brummans and Colleagues (2008) Attempt to Make Sense of Intractable Multiparty Conflict: A Mixed Methods 9. How Media Influences an (Un)Informed Citizenry: Prior's (2005) Adaptation of Knowledge-Gap Hypothesis
Appendix A: The Selection Process for Exemplars
Appendix B: Citing Information on Exemplary Studies
Appendix C: Interview Dates with Exemplary Authors
Appendix D: Final List of Exemplary Articles
Appendix E: Lessons Learned from Exemplary Research