Do you dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail, but dread sleeping in the woods and lugging a heavy backpack? Then The Appalachian Trail Day Hikers’ Guide: Downhill to Fine Wine and Accommodations by Carol and Jim Steiner is just the book for you.
Carol and Jim give you detailed information about each day hike from Springer Mountain, Georgia, to Davenport Gap, Tennessee, and spotlight hidden gems along the trail and in the communities that surround it. They don’t want you to miss the tiny bloodroot poking its head through the leaves, the amazing views of the Smoky Mountains, the friendly hosts and comfy beds at Your Home in the Woods B&B, the mouthwatering ribs at Jim’s Smokin’ Q, or the petroglyphs at the Track Rock Archeological Area. You can turn an ordinary day hike into an adventure.
They also share stories from Carol’s hiking journals, amazing pictures from their own hikes, and amusing accounts of their occasional mishaps on the trail.
Join Carol and Jim in hiking the Appalachian Trail one day at a time, savoring the still and quiet forest, exploring the small communities along the way, and finding unexpected treasures.
This Guide Includes:
- Trail Maps and Elevation Profiles.
- Detailed Directions to Trailheads with GPS- Coordinates.
- Level of Effort ratings, Hike Times, Distances, and Downhill Miles.
- Descriptions of what you will find along the Trail.
- Lodging, Restaurants, Outfitters, Shuttle-Service Providers, Groceries, ATMs, Urgent Care and Emergency Services, and Fun Places to Visit in nearby towns.
Authors Carol and Jim Steiner are hikers, writers, and photographers. They have hiked over 800 miles of the Appalachian Trail.