Do you ever feel like you're experiencing your life at only a fraction of its true clarity and depth?
Are your days dominated by a single emotion such as fear, sadness, anger, or disappointment?
At work or in your personal life, do you find yourself facing similar relationship patterns or conflicts again and again?
From our earliest years, we all acquire blind spots in the way we perceive, feel, and think. Driven by our biology, life experiences, cultural messages, and physical environment, they profoundly affect us throughout our lives.
This informative and practical guide invites us to understand: how we get them, how to bring them to light, and how to work with that newfound awareness to improve our lives.
Here, author Kelly Boys presents emerging research from many fields of psychology and neuroscience, personal stories, and a wealth of hands-on exercises and practices to help us identify, welcome, and transform our own hidden domains.
Join her to explore:
What we miss and how we miss it
• Attentional blinkgaps in our sensory awareness and our astonishing potential to perceive more in each moment
• Decoding your unconscious storieshow they filter the truth and influence you
• Hacking your intuitionwhy our gut instincts are not always accurate, and ways to get it right more often
• The defended selfuncovering the core beliefs that shape your emotional landscape
• Using moments of crisis to reveal especially elusive blind spots
• Falling in love, "crushing," cheating, and wholehearted lovingshining a light into the wilderness of intimate relationships
• Three biases that sabotage our judgment and how to counter them
• Self-compassion, welcoming, and vulnerabilitykeys to clearer self-perception
• Flow statesbecoming fully immersed in what you do without the filters that diminish your natural way of perceiving and being
• Seeing yourself as others see yousafely engaging with someone you trust to gain greater self-awareness
• Illuminating the biggest blind spot of allthe illusion of an isolated and separate self, and how to free ourselves from the traps it creates
• Chapter-by-chapter practicessomatic, contemplative, and mindfulness-basedfor self-discovery and change
Once we recognize our blind spots, we can't unsee them. We release ourselves from unnecessary suffering and begin to experience each moment more richly. With The Blind Spot Effect, you're invited to illuminate what is right in front of you and within youfor greater wonder, joy, and fulfillment.
|Publisher:||Sounds True, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Kelly Boys is a mindfulness trainer with the United Nations Foundation. She is the host of the Mindfulness Monthly program with Sounds True and directed the launch of the Google-born Search Inside Yourself facilitator training program for neuroscience-based emotional intelligence and mindfulness for the SIY Leadership Institute. She’s taught war veterans, prison inmates, humanitarian workers, and psychotherapists. She lives in Northern California. More at kellyboys.org.
Table of Contents
1 Attentional Blink What We Miss and How We Miss It 9
2 You See It … but You Don't See It Decoding the Stories in Our Minds 25
3 Shortcut to Flow State Hacking Faulty Intuitions 51
4 Choose Your Own Adventure Discovering Personalized Core Beliefs 71
5 The Full Spectrum Welcoming Emotional Blind Spots 85
6 Love Is Blind First Impressions and Falling in Love 99
7 Self-Compassion … and the Big Reveal 123
8 F*ck Feedback Illuminating How Others See Us 139
9 Trust Your Gut Uncovering Your Intuitional Navigation System 153
10 Happy Trails A Concise Guide to Working with Your Blind Spots 171
Afterword the Biggest Blind Spot of All 177
About the Author 191