Epicurious is, undisputedly, the most respected website for people who like to cook. In their first-ever cookbook, the Epicurious editors have culled their extraordinary database of 180,000 recipes and selected their most popular recipes.
Organized seasonally and by meal type, The Epicurious Cookbook offers everything from 30-minute weeknight dinners to weekend warrior show-stoppers. Also included are comfort food favorites, small dishes perfect for parties and plenty of repertoire-building mains and sides, plus breakfasts, breads, and desserts. All new stunning four-color photography shows Epicurious at its most irresistible. Throughout are Epicurious member suggestions for tweaking recipes, ideas for menu planning, smart substitutions, and homespun recipes from dozens of Epicurious members newly tested for this cookbook. Recipes include:
Easy comfort foods: Chicken and Fall Vegetable Pot Pie, Beef Short Ribs Tagine, Spicy Mac and Cheese with Pancetta, Deviled Fried Chicken, Chili con Carne with Chili Cheddar Shortcakes
Fast Weeknight Dinners: Quick Paella, Wild Rice with Pecans, Raisin, and Orange Essence, Brussels Sprouts Hash with Caramelized Shallots, Rosemary Lamb Chops with Swiss Chard and Balsamic Syrup, Pan-Fried Spicy Orange Tilapia
Please-Everyone Vegetarian and Vegan Dishes: Chilled Soba with Tofu and Sugar Snap Peas, Spiced Lentil Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream, Roasted Eggplant Salad
Special occasion show-stoppers: Tom Colicchio’s Herb-Butter Turkey, Beef Brisket with Merlot and Prunes, Wine-Braised Duck Legs
American Classics Updated—Burgers, Pizzas, Salads, Pastas, and Grilled Cheese: Coffee-Rubbed Cheeseburger with Texas Barbeque Sauce; Hearty Asparagus, Fingerling Potato, and Goat Cheese Pizza; Lobster Pasta in a Roasted Corn Sweet Bacon Cream; Grilled Cheese with Onion Jam, Taleggio, and Escarole
Breakfast and Brunch Stars: Extreme Granola with Dried Fruit, Kitchen Sink Frittata, Crème Brulee French Toast, and Ultimate Sticky Buns
Decadent Desserts: Double Layer Chocolate Cake, Apple Tart with Caramel Sauce, Frozen Lemon Ginger Snap Pie, Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies with Salted Peanuts
Destined to be that classic you’ll turn to daily, The Epicurious Cookbook enhances the very best online content in a gorgeous cookbook.
|Product dimensions:||8.14(w) x 9.74(h) x 1.09(d)|
About the Author
Launched in 1995, EPICURIOUS is the most award-winning food site on the web, which has received 64 awards, including two James Beards, an Emmy, eighteen Webbys, and three from the American Society of Magazine Editors.
Read an Excerpt
Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie
The classic apple pie elements are flawless as is, but we think this version topped with a thick layer of cinnamon crumble is pure genius. The buttery, brown sugar–infused topping crowns a generous mound of tart Granny Smith apples, while a traditional American-style pastry features equal parts butter and shortening, with a touch of cider vinegar to ensure tenderness.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
¼ cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into ½-inch cubes
3 tablespoons ice water, or more as needed
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 ¼ pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ inch thick
⅔ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup (packed) light brown sugar
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Mix the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and shortening; rub in with your fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix 3 tablespoons ice water and the vinegar in a small bowl. Drizzle over the flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather the dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch round. Transfer to a 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim the overhang to ½ inch; turn the edge under and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate while preparing the filling and topping.
Make Filling and Topping
1. Mix the filling ingredients in large bowl to coat apples.
2. Blend the flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a processor. Add the chilled butter cubes; using on/off pulses, cut in until the mixture resembles wet sand.
Assemble and Bake Pie
1. Toss the filling to redistribute juices; transfer to the crust, mounding in the center. Pack the topping over and around the apples. Bake the pie on a baking sheet until the topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly).
2. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until the apples in the center are tender when pierced and the filling is bubbling thickly at the edges, about 45 minutes longer. Cool until warm, about 1 hour. Serve with ice cream.
Table of ContentsContents
Menus and Recipes for Any Occasion
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Great Simple and Tasty Recipes for all!
Had the Epicurious app since I got my Nook then it quit functioning 4 months ago - would not allow access to recipes searched and shown. Is this going out of business or only wants to provide access for pay? At least, a book can not be shutdown - or wait, can it?