If you are a parent struggling to understand the new Common Core English Language Arts standards for your child, you're not alone. Even though the Common Core ELA has been adopted by 45 states across the nation, if you're accustomed to traditional English courses, you may be having a hard time understanding what your kids are bringing home from school--and why.
The Everything Parent's Guide to Common Core ELA, Grades 6–8 can help. With easy-to-understand examples, comprehension tips, and practice exercises, this comprehensive guide will explain:
- What your child will be learning in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade
- The types of books and passages your child will be reading
- The new requirements and the rationale for reading nonfiction texts
- The focus on finding evidence and formulating arguments
- The reasoning behind the Common Core English Language Arts standards
About the Author
Jill Mountain, MA, is an ELA teacher, writing instructor, and curriculum developer. Fully trained in Common Core ELA by Pearson and Smarter Balanced, Mountain uses her understanding of the standards to coach parents, giving them a clear understanding of how to best prepare their children for the new requirements.